We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thank you Earlybrass!

CT
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Topic
Thank you Earlybrass!

Hi Earlybrass: WOW!!! I just read your villa information to inloveafter20years. Thank you so much for all of your very useful information. I, too, printed the post and added it to my villa file.

Do you happen to know anything about the Leeward villa in rendezvous bay? i'd love to hear your opinion.

curious to know how you are so familiar with st john. i just joined the forum... sorry if you've already explained in an earlier post.

nowhere
Level Contributor
872 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thank you Earlybrass!

Hi - Been renting villas for over 15 years now all over the US and caribbean. I spend a lot of time on research before renting, just as I would before making a resort hotel selection. As a result, I get familier with agencies and properties over the years. Before actually renting a property I may checkout and discuss 4-8 houses. Sometimes availability doesn't work out, or they let me know the house isn't up to my requirements. I also give the agencies a description of what I'm looking for and put it in the context of what grade of a hotel I would equate it to. It helps the agencies provide better info and tell me whether or not the property will meet my requirements. I also have some special requirements. For example, I have bad arthritis, so I always ask about stairs and good mattresses. I let them know I'm used to more upscale hotels, want a certain type of view, good pool, etc. for other folks, the electronics would matter a lot, or a/c throughout the house. Like hotels, you get what you pay for, and occasionally much more, sometimes less. The internet has made research so much easier than it used to be and reasearch on a destination or property is second nature to me. I figure I may as well offer what I can to others to save them some time.

When it comes to opinions, with a few exceptions, I find folks who don't put the price in context have higher expectations than they should and end up dissapointed. The far larger group rave about everything, even avergae and unexpectional villas and restuarants. I tend to put things on a scale as i would any other lodging, so with that in mind, here's my view on Leeward:

Leeward Villa gets excellent reviews from renters. the kitchen gets high marks. It's fairly new, maybe 2-3 years old - and well furnished. I'd say bedroom a/c is a must in the house location and they have it. Given its orientation for the views, ask about hours of sunlight on the decks if early morning or late afternoon sunning is important. You may find it shady, which is something of a blessing, but not for those who want tanning. I find the livingroom a bit formal for me, and like a lot of villas, there seems to be limited seating, but it's a lovely house in an area where new homes are going up. I know it says it has access to Klien Bay, but I sure wouldn't want to walk back up that hill! Typical of the nice upscale southshore houses that have been built in the last few years. Leeward fits the grade of house I'd choose for myself.

Construction on St John is a funny thing. They seem to work everyday for a while and then go away. Then they work everyday again. I've played with multiple cement trucks one week and seen only a few the next. So luck has a lot to do with whether or not construction will be a problem. The risk is they're all over the island, so the agencies put in the construction caveat as they have no way to predict what will happen when. Kind of like forcasting the weather.

St John is special. Go and enjoy.

CT
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Thank you Earlybrass!

thanks very much for your insight... we seem to be on the same page on all of your points!

i'm curious to know if you have read leeward renter reviews online (if so, where can i find them??) or if you know people who have stayed there.

nowhere
Level Contributor
872 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thank you Earlybrass!

Actually, I'm one of those folks who chat casually with strangers in restaurants and shops and ask about the villa you're renting and what its like and what you don't care for, etc. Then I file the info away for future reference. (I have a mind like Velcro. The more useless the info, the more likely I am to remember.) I also glean facts from other message boards on the VI. I have a head full of info on all sorts of strange and arcane subjects. I sometimes find reviews in different places as well. Just research. When I'm too busy, I can't do it, but when I can, I do.

You may enjoy www.vinow.com They also have a good message board and discuss a lot of things - including villas - that this board does not. One lady had an awful experience with a direct from owner rental and arrived to find the place such a mess they had to stay at the Westin instead. She seems unwilling to name the owner or the villa - which we're all asking for. If I find out, I'll post.

CT
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thank you Earlybrass!

once again, thanks for all of your information!

Get answers to your questions about St. John