We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to go?

Rad
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
When to go?

We were planning to go to St. John late November but I don't think I can wait. This will be our first trip to St. John. Weather wise what are good months to go? Thanks for any help.

Hampton Roads, VA
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to go?

There are really no "bad" times to go. The summer is nice, less crowded, especially during the heart of hurricane season. It is only a few degrees cooler in the winter months than the summer. May tends to be rainy.

If you can't wait till November, go now! We usually go this time of year because we have kids that are out of school. The weather is dry except for a daily shower usually. Tourist season is Dec-April so things are more busy (but this also means that there is more going on if you want that).

Weather.com will show averages and records. The zip code is 00801. Have a great time!

nowhere
Level Contributor
872 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to go?

You can go to www.wunderground.com and check St Thomas, the nearest national Weather Service location a few miles away, and then click on history to get temperature, humidity and rainfall averages. You'll see rainfall is highest mid-August to late Nov, driest Jan-April. Fairly dry and very humid july and Aug, with the risk of hurricanes. Any time you go and get great weather, it good. If you don't - well, that's bad, but it's also the luck of the draw when you're off season. My favorite is from right after Thanksgiving to just before Christmas. Low season rates I can afford and I get to postpone winter for a few more weeks.

If you can get a last minute villa rental, it would be a very good value for the $$$'s. Check on the various villa agency pages for what's available and what the discounts are. You could sneak in a week this summer and get aquainted with all the things you want to do in Nov.

Harrisburg
Level Contributor
527 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to go?

our first three trips were in May, June and July (different years) While we had great weather each time, July was fantastic. We experienced nice dry heat with good, cooling winds (slept without AC). Very brief afternoon showers. It was warm enough that you wanted to be in the water.

Our January/February trip was not so great weather wise because of storms in the Atlantic. The seas were very rough and skies were cloudy more days than not. Temps were pleasant but combined with the wind, you really had to want to get in the water. (One of our friends got wet once during the entire week as she was too cold.)

I make the comparison because for the money, I would pick summer of winter without hesitation. Now, if I had only visited in the winter, I might think what we experienced in January and February was good weather.

We are doing one more winter trip (due to age of kids) and then are switching back to summer.

new york
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: When to go?

We love early August....this year we are going the second week in August and I must admit, I'm more nervous this time regarding Hurricanes!

NC
Level Contributor
511 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: When to go?

Rad..we just returned from st John from June 1-7th and if I would have thought that it would be more hot and humid than NC where I live....I would have waited until November.It sounds like the perfect time to go.You would be passed hurricane season and the temps would probably be in the 70s to low 80s.Next time we go..it will be during Fall or Winter. :)

Get answers to your questions about St. John