We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St.John/St. Thomas w/ kids

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
PA
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
St.John/St. Thomas w/ kids

Was wondering what to do w/ a one day cruise stop (St. Thomas). I have read a lot of great things about St. John. Was looking for a smaller catamaran/charter snorkel/beach thing w/ young kids (11, 8, 4). Any suggestions?

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
699 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St.John/St. Thomas w/ kids

You could take a day trip over to St. John and take the kids to Trunk Bay. It is a beautiful beach (where a lot of the cruise ships take their guests) with snorkeling for beginners (Reef Bay Trail). There is a snack shop/restaurant where you can get lunch.

There is also Cinnamon Bay where they rent water sports equipmement, and also have some decent snorkeling. This is a well known campgroud, so there is a restaurant and restooms.

Waterlemon Cay is a wonderful snorkeling spot, but you may be pushed going there knowing you have one day. It is quite a hike to the beach, and there is no restaurant -- you would need to pack a lunch.

The other suggestion I would have is to stay on St. Thomas, and take a cab (or have a rental car rented in advance for the day) out to Coki Beach or Magens Bay for a day of beach and snorkeling (snorkeling at Coki Beach). Cokie Beach is fun for the kids. You are given dog biscuits for the fish, and the fish are very tame and they swim right up to you and eat out of your hand. There are several huts set up that cook and sell food, and there are waiters that come along the beach to take your order if you want. (Make sure you tip them!). There is hair braiding at the beach as well.

Next to Cokie Beach is the aquariam. I cannot give you first-hand information on the aquariam as we have not gone there (our kids were older when we started going). Cokie Beach is not the prettiest, but it is islandy and fun.

Magen's Bay is a very pretty beach that offers a small restaurant and picnic tables. You have to pay to get in. Well worth the trip.

Though we are partial to St. John beaches, and stay on St. John, you have many nice options on St. Thomas as well.

I hope I have helped some. You should get other helpful information as well.

Have fun!

Charlotte Amalie...
Level Contributor
177 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St.John/St. Thomas w/ kids

I would have to say with three kids I don't think I would spend the travel time to go to St John on a day trip. Between the cabs and the ferry it will burn up a lot of your time and if one or more of the kids is having a bad day you alll will. There are plenty of beutiful beaches on St Thomas. If you are interested in a sailing charter then google daysails in St Thomas you will find lots of options. St John is absolutely beutiful but you won't have enough time to enjoy it on a day trip.

Jay

virginia
Level Contributor
326 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St.John/St. Thomas w/ kids

IF your kids are water rats...(like mine and love snorkling swimming)

get a day sail that leaves from CA port and will return you there at the end of the day.

Get one that will take you to various beaches, snorkling sites around STT/STJ and have a lunch either on board or someplace fun. It would be a full day but I think your kids would really enjoy it and get to see lots of places in one day.

4. Re: St.John/St. Thomas w/ kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, September 09, 2009