We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St.John Vs. Tortola

new york
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
St.John Vs. Tortola

I have posted this message on the tortola forum, but this one seems to get more responses:

My husband and I are frequent St.John travelers but are looking for something new for a trip next year. We have considered many islands but always seem to come back to St.John because we know it and love it....but we're trying to venture out of our comfort zone alittle. Tortola seems to be a beautiful island. We are in our mid-20's but don't need a lot of nightlife. I like alittle shopping- nothing like St.Thomas though, just a few. We are mostly about relaxation and getting away from our busy work week. Does Tortola sound like a good destination for us? Those of you who have been to both st.john and tortola, do you feel we would be happy with tortola if we love st.john? Also, any villa recommendations? We will be taking the inlaws along with us this time so we need a house for 4.

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: St.John Vs. Tortola

I guess St. John just grows on some of us!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
146 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: St.John Vs. Tortola

go to Virgin Gorda and rent the villa, Las Brisas. It's booked thru Guavaberry Spring Bay Vacations homes. It's great and your within walking distance of some of the best beaches in the entire caribbean.

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: St.John Vs. Tortola

That's a good idea. Those are just above the Baths, aren't they? If so, that's an awesome location.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
146 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: St.John Vs. Tortola

to tetheredincolorado- Las Brisas is directly across from the Mad Dog bar which is adjacent to the entrance to the baths.

BVI
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: St.John Vs. Tortola

re: "And yes -- you DO need a passport to get into the BVI. Even 2 years ago when taking the ferry from STJ to Jost van Dyke, we had to have a passport to get on the ferry and to get in to Jost. Must have passport."

Sorry, but this is INCORRECT. I live on Tortola and you do NOT need a passport. A birth cert w/raised seal (original) & photo id (lisc) are currently the requirement. However, the US has plans as of 01/06 to require a passport in order to RETURN to the US from the Caribbean, which would mean that you would need your passport to travel out to the BVI in order to get home.

north carolina
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: St.John Vs. Tortola

not to be a jerk about the passport issue but we just got back from tortola and although we did have passports, the lady at customs, made the couple in front of us (who were from Norfolk,va) and did not have passports, feel like they were complete idiots for not having passports and lambasted them for not having one.

You may be able to travel with just a birth certificate, but I was glad to have my passport after hearing the way that couple was treated.

I was in Tortola for the BVI music festival and had a great time by the way. Cane Garden Bay was a lot of fun.

Just my opinon.

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: St.John Vs. Tortola

You're not being a jerk, Murphy. I think the best advice is to GET A DARN PASSPORT if you have time before your trip even if they aren't required...yet.

Glad you loved St. John. Still trying to figure out a way to make a living there.....

north carolina
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: St.John Vs. Tortola

thanks tethered...

I had to laugh out loud when I saw your post about trying to find out how to make a living there.

My brother lives in Vail and I live in NC and we both have very good six figure incomes and have begun thinking about a way to gracefully bow out of our chosen career paths and find a way to make living in the islands a reality. I know there is a way, it is just finding your niche and then aking it a reality.

This is not a passing thought or fantasy, but a dream...A dream that can, and will, become reality at some point. I just hope it is sooner rather than later.

Good luck with yours...

=Murph'

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: St.John Vs. Tortola

We are COMPLETELY with you. My husband and I have been trying to figure out an angle for YEARS. Thrilled to report we'll be taking our first step when we visit this summer; looking to buy a 1/2 acre lot with an eye on building a small rental "villa". You and your brother should look into it. If your brother lives in Vail, the prices shouldn't freak him out too badly. (We love skiing there, pricey as it is.) Keep the dream alive, bruthah!!

Cheers!

St. John
Level Contributor
569 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: St.John Vs. Tortola

I've not been to Tortola, but have two good friends who've been there and have just loved it. My family and I will be in St. John for the 1st time next spring...since you know the island, what do you think of the Gift Hill area for villas? Our travel group is made up of our kids and our parents. Input appreciated! We do plan to make it to Tortola for a daytrip. I hope to participate in the following...www.dolphindiscovery.com , click on Tortola!