We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BVI boat trip

washington
Level Contributor
187 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
BVI boat trip

I'm going to st.john in late march, room and board were done.

However, I'm wondering how long do you guys book in advance for BVI day trips. I still can't decide what to do. Will they be full very soon or couple weeks booking in advance is ok? thank you.

NH
Level Contributor
278 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BVI boat trip

I booked about a month-month in a half out. I went on off season though (July) so I wouldn't wait that long for a March trip...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BVI boat trip

Probably depends somewhat on which company you use, as well as the size of your party. For our trip with Ocean Runner last March, I only booked a week in advance. Same went for New Horizons II, though that trip was in May.

If you're locked into a specific day or time, doesn't hurt to plan ahead. But if you're flexible, I think you have plenty of time.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
57 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BVI boat trip

If you want someone really good, try to get in touch with John Brandi. You can find a video on You Tube by searching on John Brandi or Palm Tree Charters. At the end of the video you will find his number. We used him July 27 and he was absolutely great. Not only is he a good captain, but his personality and his knowledge of the area are superb.

St.Thomas
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: BVI boat trip

My suggestion. This is what I call my Drinking/Snorkeling trip. Obviously care must be excercised when combining those two activities !! If you drink too much, skip the snorkeling ! Rent a 28 foot powerboat with captain, they can be rented from Ocean Runner or the Westin. A good trip is as follows. Start at 9am ..Go straight to Jost Van Dyke to check in (need passports) while the captain is checking in (make sure he lets the BVI folks know you are getting off the boat) you can walk down to Foxy's Bar.. This is a very famous bar, there are small gift shops etc.. Then go up to Sandy Spit/Sandy Key. Hang there for awhile, for lunch, Taboo which is right across the bay from Sandy Spit is great, slow, but great. It takes like 45 min to get food. You can pass on that if you dont have the patience and eat at the next place.. Which would be Soggy Dollar Bar, a back track from Sandy spit, but you dont want to get there too early.. . Dont drink too much as there is more of the day to be had.. Pace yourself is the main thing while drinking here. Soggy Dollar has decent food and is relatively quick.. From there I would go up to the Indians and go snorkeling. This spot is for experienced swimmers,and people who are not drunk...In my opinion the best snorkeling place in the BVI.. Then hit the Caves which are right accross from there.. Then hit Willy T's and drink heavilly !! Depending on the people involved the trip can be modified to accomodate either more drinking or more snorkeling. Also, if there are shoppers you could check in at West End Tortola and go to Pussers. Or hit that on the way to Willy T and eat lunch there.. I have done variatoins of that trip inumerable times..

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BVI boat trip

My husband and I also used John Brandi during our honeymoon last year, and he was amazing. He really took the time to show you around the area and really explore the islands. I can't recommend him enough!!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
57 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BVI boat trip

Here is a link to the video on John Brandi: on-stjohn.com/2007/03/16/on-stjohn-tv-palm-t…

What you see in the video is exactly what you get on the boat with him. He makes you feel right at home and takes the time to answer any questions you may have, no matter how mundane they may seem to you.

washington
Level Contributor
187 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BVI boat trip

Thank you everyone for replies with great suggestions :)

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BVI boat trip

Check out Lion in Da Sun...we went yesterday with Josh...it was unbelievable. He'll take you whereever you want to go!

9. Re: BVI boat trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, September 08, 2009
Get answers to your questions about St. John