We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need restaurant feedback: Equator Restaurant at Caneel Bay

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NC
3 posts
Save Topic
Need restaurant feedback: Equator Restaurant at Caneel Bay

We are wanting to book reservations at a nice restaurant for our 25th anniversary. We ate at Caneel Bay on our honeymoon 25 years ago. When we called, the beachside restaurant we visited then is now closed. Made reservations at the Equator. Anyone familiar with this restaurant? Anything better on St. Johns that you would recommend?

Atlanta, Ga
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need restaurant feedback: Equator Restaurant at Caneel Bay

We just returned from a stay at Caneel Bay and ate at the Equator. The atmosphere is very nice but I can't say that I recommend the Equator as your choice for your anniversary meal. The food was just so so. We were celebrating our 27th anniversary. I would recommend ZoZos, which is in Cruz Bay. Their food was very good and they have a sunset view. Alsolare was also recommended to us for it's view and ambiance but we were told their food could be hit or miss so we chose ZoZos. I will recommend Caneel's Monday Night Grand Buffet. It was excellent. All the lobster, salmon, shrimp, and made-to-order seafood pasta you can eat (also other choices if you aren't a seafood lover). It was expensive - $70.00 per person but it was worth it!

BPT
Atlanta
Level Contributor
424 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need restaurant feedback: Equator Restaurant at Caneel Bay

We also just returned from Caneel Bay. My appetizer & meal at the Equator was very good. My husbands were not very good. Service was ok and the view was beautiful. Same poor man who had waited on us at breakfast was our server at dinner.

I completely agree with Barblloyd that ZoZo's would be your best choice. I don't think you can beat the view, setting, service or food. We have been to Azolare for special occassions in years past but it seems to be receiving mixed reviews lately.

Congratulations on 25 years!

Midwest, USA
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need restaurant feedback: Equator Restaurant at Caneel Bay

I'd add the same. The view at the Equator can't be beat. Our food was ok at best. The service was also just ok. They have another restaurant at Turtle Bay on Caneel's property. It's a bit dressier but we heard the food was similar.

We ate at Zozo's in Cruz Bay too and, again, the view was gorgeous but my meal was awful. I had gnocci which had been beaten to death with butter and garlic. It was probably the only time in my life I've actually wanted to send food back. My husband's meal there was "ok." We aren't normally picky at all.

While the atmosphere isn't as fancy, the food at Cafe Roma was fantastic. I've heard Alostare is great too but we didn't get a chance to go.

Kernersville, NC
Level Contributor
269 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need restaurant feedback: Equator Restaurant at Caneel Bay

Went with another couple last year. This is from my trip report:

Headed out to our 6:30 reservation at the Equator restaurant. This was the only place I made a reservation all week, since it doesn’t really seem necessary during low season. I only did it this night because I wanted a table by the rail to watch the sunset. The restaurant was only about half full at its busiest time. This was the one night Gary and I wore long pants, and the ladies wore skirts.

I’d heard great things about the location, and it was truly romantic and special. And the food measured up to the surroundings. Jeannie and Gary had the red snapper special, Pam had tiger shrimp, and I had swordfish. The only thing that was only so-so was the lobster bisque, which was slightly disappointing. On the other hand, I had banana cheesecake for dessert, and it transcended the cheesecake genre. It was served with caramelized bananas, much like bananas foster, and a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. I’d go back just for that.

Very good service, exceptional atmosphere, and delicious food. With soups, no drinks, and one dessert, our bill came to $98. Gary’s was $90. Certainly a wonderful evening out, and the price wasn’t extravagant.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need restaurant feedback: Equator Restaurant at Caneel Bay

fowl_Intent, The beach bar by the reception area is closed? Those of you that have just been there, is this true? Do you mean they aren't serving food at the beach bar? We are going in two weeks and that is not good news. Thanks, owa

BPT
Atlanta
Level Contributor
424 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need restaurant feedback: Equator Restaurant at Caneel Bay

owa - both restaurants by the beach are open along with the bar that was built last fall.

Roslyn, New York
Level Contributor
273 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need restaurant feedback: Equator Restaurant at Caneel Bay

My wife and I have been to Caneel many times and rarely eat dinner on property. The best you can say about Equator is that view is always great but service and food are hit or miss. If you can, take taxi into Cruz Bay. Asolare, Zozos, Stone Terrace, Tage are very good places. We also very much like La Tapa, great food if not a great view. But, check if these spots are open this time of year. Congrats.

ACBinNC
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need restaurant feedback: Equator Restaurant at Caneel Bay

We visited Caneel Bay in May and celebrated our anniversary at the Equator. We had planned on eating somewhere else for our anniversary, but we ate at the Equator earlier in the week and loved it so much that we made a reservation there. The food and service were impeccable both nights. We also ate at Tage and preferred the Equator.

Alice in NC

9. Re: Need restaurant feedback: Equator Restaurant at Caneel Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, September 05, 2009