We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Ferry, Groceries, Restaurants & Beach Diving!?

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Car Ferry, Groceries, Restaurants & Beach Diving!?

Coming in August and can't wait! Have been reading posts all night! Hope to find final answers to make our trip smooth sailing.

1. What's up with Car Ferries? I read horror stories on this post! 6 vs. 52 cars?? I hope renting in St. Thomas and bringing to St. John is Ok...Pia??? are you out there!? What's this about not parking at STT car in Cruz Bay?

2. Ok, I've heard about sticker shock in grocery stores. I'm going to bring stuff from US, but how expensive is expensive...let's start with 1 gallon of Milk for a comparison...???

3. Need Toddler friendly, fun restaurant suggestions....please!

4. Beach diving sites?

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Ferry, Groceries, Restaurants & Beach Diving!?

I found a list of food prices on vinow.com. You have to go to the part about moving to USVI (the relocation guide.) They give info on the cost of living. It said a gallon of milk was over 5.00. However, rum is 6.00 for a 1.75 liter bottle! Crazy!

Harrisburg
Level Contributor
527 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Ferry, Groceries, Restaurants & Beach Diving!?

How old is your toddler? We took our son to nearly all the restaurants in Cruz Bay (the exception being La Tapa, Zozo'z, and other high end places)

Some are better than others in terms of interest level through the eyes of a child. Our son just stared at the boat while sitting on the wall at the Beach Bar.

Kernersville, NC
Level Contributor
271 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Ferry, Groceries, Restaurants & Beach Diving!?

Here are some food prices, albeit from last year:

Muffins $1.69

Wheat bread $2.39

Kraft squeeze mayo $2.49

Milk, ½ gal. $3.89

Breyer’s ice cream $7.99

Oreo’s $5.99

Half & half, pt. $1.59

Charmin 4 roll $4.99

Butter, 2 sticks $3.69

Coke 6 pack $3.59

As for the car ferry, don't sweat it. We rented on STT, brought our 4WD to STJ, not the slightest problem. Parking in Cruz Bay is problematic, but no one knows where your car is from. (Obviously, you wouldn't park in one of the STJ car rental lots.) People go back and forth on this, but I think it's both smarter and more economical.

vero beach, florida
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Ferry, Groceries, Restaurants & Beach Diving!?

thanks rqc1600. we will be in stj in august and have been stressing about renting a car in stt and using car barge. i only have the forums to go by and they have scared me to death. my husband wants me to rent a car from budget and drive to red hook without him. yikes! your information was refreshing.

Strongsville
Level Contributor
90 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Ferry, Groceries, Restaurants & Beach Diving!?

We just got back and we were going to take our rental car over to St Thomas for the day but found out they will not allow rental cars on the ferry.

6. Re: Car Ferry, Groceries, Restaurants & Beach Diving!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, September 03, 2009