We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Groceries on St Thomas?

Orlando, FL
4 posts
Save Topic
Groceries on St Thomas?

We are renting a house at the end of July in St John and we are renting a car from St Thomas and bringing it over on the car ferry. We want to keep eating out to a minimum, so we'll be cooking most of the time.

I read on another forum about shopping at Marina Market in Red Hook (which is where the car ferry leaves from) before heading to St John - has anyone done this?

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Snorkel Spot
Gift & Specialty Shops
Mongoose Junction
Gift & Specialty Shops
Fabric Mill
Gift & Specialty Shops
St Thomas
Level Contributor
183 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Groceries on St Thomas?

Marina Market is where you want to get your produce and meats. For your staple items and such go to Cost U Less in Tutu, kind of like a Sams Club but no membership needed. Its on the way to Red Hook from the airport if you go up Raphune Hill and through Tutu.

It will save you at least $100 over marina market. Also Starfish Market on St John has similar if not better prices than Marina Market. I priced ahi tuna at both places and it was $3/lb cheaper on St John.

TIP: DO NOT buy condiments and standard items like A1, ketchup, mustard, salt, pepper, napkins, etc. Check your villa first and just buy whatever is missing at Starfish market on St John. 99.9% of the time the villa fridge has all of those items.

I remember going to my family's villa fridge and there were 3 bottles of the same (ironically enough) spicy brown mustard, and 2 of them were not even opened. 1 of which was the one my parents bought.

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Harrisburg
Level Contributor
527 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Groceries on St Thomas?

I was shocked and pleasantly surprised at the amount of usable items in the villa refridge on our first St. John visit. We found lots of unopend condiments (mayo, ketcup, jellies) tons of coffee, tea, sugar, etc.

We were used to rental houses in other areas that required absolutely everything to be emptied out.

The house we rented this past year was extremely well stocked with paper towels, plates, detergent, aluminum fold and the like.

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Orlando, FL
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Groceries on St Thomas?

Thanks so much! That's great to know!

Is Starfish pretty well stocked like Marina Market in terms of selection?

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Groceries on St Thomas?

Starfish is amazingly well stocked. Decent produce, fair to not so great on meats, good selection of staples and snacks, good dairy and cheese, sometimes good seafood, and solid wine selection. Also a surprising bakery area with muffins, bagels, etc. Prices are steep (generally 50% over US mainland).

Great recommendation on checking pantry and fridge before shopping. I have even left bottles of liquor that made it to the next group of people.

For higher end items I am a fan of The Simple Feast at Palm Plaza on the South Shore Rd. Good selection of pasta and some more obscure ingredients. They can also procure proteins not immediately available if you ask them.

5. Re: Groceries on St Thomas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, August 19, 2009