We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting started for 2008 Family Trip Planning - need advice

philly
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
Getting started for 2008 Family Trip Planning - need advice

I am in the process of reading the thread - but if one of you will afford the generosity of your time, would you help with the following:

We're 2 grandparents, 2 parents and 2 kids (6 and 9)

We'll need a 3-4 bedroom villa with an excellent pool and proximity to good snorkeling beach preferred as a low energy activity

We want to go summer 08

Can anyone recommend a villa?

Can anyone recommend a certain part of the island?

Can anyone recommend June/July for snorkelling? (any jellyfish?)

Much appreciated - and I'll keep reading

Thanks!

Virgin Islands EcoTours
Gear Rentals, Scuba & Snorkeling, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
The Beach Bar RocknRolla
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Boat Rentals
Prince Charters
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Trevor's Activity Center
Boat Tours, Water Sports, Scuba & Snorkeling, Waterskiing & Jetskiing, Fishing Charters & Tours
Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting started for 2008 Family Trip Planning - need advice

Try some of these but be sure to check the layout as it is not unusual on STJ for the bedrooms to be in seperate buildings (we call them pods) or be connected by outside only staircases (I don't think so in the examples I gave you) Not sure what your budget is.

Pia

http://www.palmterracevillas.com/ (not a villa but great location and beautiful rooms close to town and you maybe the only ones there in the June/July timeframe - but not over end of Carnival - try the 3 or 4 bedroom)

http://www.destinationstjohn.com/ambiance.htm (books up quickly see the "availability" page)

www.destinationstjohn.com/la_papaya.htm (another one that books up fast)

destinationstjohn.com/casadesonadores.html

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,676 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting started for 2008 Family Trip Planning - need advice

Look at www.vacationvistas.com

Argonauta is the house we always stay in. It overlooks Great Cruz Bay with beautiful sunset views. It just minutes (drive) away from town & North Shore Rd.

We've never had a problem with jellyfish in June. (we're divers) can't speak for July. Did have a problem with them one year in April.

Mentioned in this post
Cruz Bay
Cruz Bay
St. John
NC
Level Contributor
822 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting started for 2008 Family Trip Planning - need advice

Hi there! That is so wonderful that you are planning ahead! STJ is not a difficult place so you don't have to plan TOO much.

Being a mom of 3 and taking our Meme (grandma) with us on our STJ holidays, I think I might be able to offer some valuable input.

I would recommend the Westin! They take care of you from the airport, taxi to their private boat where they will welcome you with a rum punch -punch for the little ones - and someone will take your luggage while you ride comfortably in little golf carts that take you to your villa. I would definitely recommend a villa - the 2 bedroom will sleep 6 and the 3 is quite nice with private patio & dipping pool that will sleep 8-10. If you don't feel like walking from your villa - a golf cart will gladly come and pick you up. That same boat that brought you offer will take you back over to STT for shopping, etc.

There is 1/4 acre pool there, tennis, spa & workout facility, restaurants, a beach full of beach 'toys' at your disposal, jeep rentals and activities every day. My kids love getting up in the mornings and checking out the Westin itnerary for the day. They pick & choose what they would like to do. There are also fun things for the 'big' kids to do as well. It is also very safe.

You can get day trips arranged right at the Westin, rent jeeps/cars for exploring the island, etc. There is a little gourmet deli on-site and also a gourmet little grocery store/deli less than a .5 miles.

The Westin is the only place we have found as a family where we all - all ages - can really enjoy ourselves and feel like we've had a 'special' vacation. We've been doing it now for about 15 years!!

I would be happy to give you more info, such as how to rent one of the villas for 1/2 the price, grocery stores, beaches/snorkeling spots, etc - you can email me at MUR5RUN@aol.com

Whatever you decide you will LOVE STJ.

4. Re: Getting started for 2008 Family Trip Planning - need advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:23 am, September 02, 2009