We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in St. John 06/14 to 6/21, anyone else going??

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Staying in St. John 06/14 to 6/21, anyone else going??

This will be our 6th trip to the Caribbean to experience yet another island that is new to us. After last year's magnificent trip to Jamaica we are St. John bound this year and would like to know if anyone else is traveling there at the same time that has been to the island before. We are totally into snorkeling and are hoping to find the best places to go and make use of every minute of the seven days we will be there! We also love to eat (and drink a few frosty beverages) at as many of the local establishments as possible and would love to hear recommendations or even meet up with others while we are all there to share in the beauty of that which is the Caribbean.

The big question is, if you had 7 days/nights on St. John, where would you be sure to go? I'll have a full trip report when I return which I hope will help others in the same way I need help now.

Thanks everyone!!

Annie

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,739 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Staying in St. John 06/14 to 6/21, anyone else going??

For lobster I love Morgans Mango and Lime Inn. I think the sides are better at MM and if you ask for a seat on the railing (reserve ahead of time) you will have a "view"

Pia

Louisville
6 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Staying in St. John 06/14 to 6/21, anyone else going??

The best conch fritters in the world are at Vie's Snack Shack.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Staying in St. John 06/14 to 6/21, anyone else going??

Wow....ask and you shall receive, eh? I now have a recommendation for lobster AND conch fritters...thanks everyone!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Staying in St. John 06/14 to 6/21, anyone else going??

and if you're in Cruz Bay when the hankerin' for the conch fritters comes on, the Banana Deck will take care of you.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Staying in St. John 06/14 to 6/21, anyone else going??

I think we're going to have to stay another week just to eat at all the great places you've all recommended (I wish!!!).....keep 'em comin'...I'm writing them all down on my list of things we just MUST do!!

I can't wait!!

Mechanicsville, VA
3 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Staying in St. John 06/14 to 6/21, anyone else going??

My fiance' and I went to STJ last Thanksgiving, as my brother got married on Hawksnest beach. We absolutely loved it, though I love the Carribean in general anyway. We rented a villa called "Odessa" (near chocolate hole) that had a GREAT crossbreeze. You had to walk down 62 steps to get to it, so not recommended for the frail. My brother had rented a villa not far from us, and his had virtually no breeze. Cinnamon Bay was our fav beach, Trunk was okay but you have to pay to get on it, (presumably because that beach has lifeguards.) Morgans Mango has a lobster special on Tues. nights, and grab one of their t-shirts--pretty cool shirts. The Beach Bar has a great crab dip. Not a huge shopping mecca, but St. John Spice was one place that we went to more than once. We never even made it to the other side of the island, (east,) hopefuly we will next time! One note though, I got litterally ATE UP by something, and was the only one in our group that did. I finally realized that I was the only one that litterally "buried" myself in the sand...maybe they were sand fleas, but whatever it was, they were fierce. Will use lawn chair next time!

Hamlet N.C.
2 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Staying in St. John 06/14 to 6/21, anyone else going??

We will be on STJ from 6/16 - 6/25 perhaps we will bump into you.

washington
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Staying in St. John 06/14 to 6/21, anyone else going??

we have been there two of the last three years and it is our favorite island. Our favorite beaches are Hawknest, Francis Bay. You will also want to do the walking trail to Waterlemon Cay for the best snorkeling on the island. Make sure you walk all the way out as far as you can before going in the water. keep your eyes open for starfish on the walk. Our favorite restaurant was Tage. Skinny Legs is a popular place. As for frozen drinks you may be best served going to Caneel Bay or Westin. If money is not an object you may want to bring your passports and visit the BVIs.

19. Re: Staying in St. John 06/14 to 6/21, anyone else going??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, September 02, 2009