We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BVI cell tower

Fishkill, NY
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
BVI cell tower

I always add an international plan when I visit St John as I was burned once several years ago after realizing I pick up the BVI tower on certain parts of the island. With that being said, we are coming for a quickie 4 night trip next month. We are staying right in Cruz Bay and not renting a car. We are trying to keep expenses down as we just returned from the island 2 weeks ago. We will be sticking with the closest North Shore Beaches. Honeymoon, Hawksnest, Trunk and possibly Cinnamon. If my memory serves me correctly, Cinnamon is where AT&T customers start picking up the BVI signal? Can anyone confirm? I’m trying to avoid the $60 fee AT&T now charges for international. I have unlimited data so I’m not overly concerned with WiFi.

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Cruz Bay
Cruz Bay
St. John
Hawksnest Beach
Hawksnest Beach
535 Reviews
St. John
6 replies to this topic
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,730 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BVI cell tower

Just a thought, but why not turn your phone off? I take mine with me in case of an emergency, but it's off. The last thing I want to do on the beach is be on my phone. We took our son & DIL in April/May. Our son usually has his phone glued to his ear or he's texting. He also wears one of those watch things that he can read text on or see who's calling. The battery died on day 2, and although he had the charger(s) with him, he didn't bother plugging them in. He said it was the best 2 weeks he's had in a LONG time.

Unplug and enjoy vacation!!! You can check your phone for messages when you get back from the beach. 😎

Fishkill, NY
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BVI cell tower

That’s a very good point. For some terrible reason that was never even a thought!

Edited: 1:39 pm, June 12, 2018
Long Island
Level Contributor
215 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BVI cell tower

WE have AT&T and the alert goes off as soon as we enter Trunk Bay. We shut the phones off and that is it. We have never had a billing problem.

Mentioned in this post
Trunk Bay
Trunk Bay
2,620 Reviews
St. John
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
855 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BVI cell tower

FWIW, I've picked up the BVI signal at Hawksnest, among other places. Last time (February 2018), I used the AT&T international plan that was (IIRC) $10/day that I used it, not $60/day. Did they recently up it? Or maybe you meant that it would be $60 total over the course of a week.

Mentioned in this post
Hawksnest Beach
Hawksnest Beach
535 Reviews
St. John
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,283 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BVI cell tower

I turn roaming off on my phone. That solves the problem very quickly. FWIW, I get ATT signal everywhere except Leinster Beach to Haulover North and the Western Coral Bay starting at Aqua Bistro.

Cheers, RickG

Mentioned in this post
Coral Bay
Coral Bay
183 Reviews
St. John
Aqua Bistro
Aqua Bistro
936 Reviews
St. John
Fishkill, NY
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BVI cell tower

The Greatlizby, $60 is the lowest GB plan they now offer. It can last up to a month depending on how much of the data you use.

Edited: 6:10 pm, June 13, 2018
Reply to: BVI cell tower
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;