We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Books to recommend???

Nashville, Tennessee
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Books to recommend???

My fiance and I will be spending our honeymoon at Gallows Point Resort in early August. Since neither one of us has ever been to the Virgin Islands, we're eager to learn more about the islands to help us plan activites. So far, people have recommended getting the "National Geographic Virgin Islands National Park" map and the book by Pam Gaffin called "St. John: Feet, Fins and Four Wheel Drive". Does anybody else have any other book recommendations to help us better prepare for our trip?

Thanks,

Joey from Chicago

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Books to recommend???

Hi Joey,

Log on to usvi-on-line.com (another great website) and click on their guide books, there is a whole selection to choose from. I like St John Beach Guide as well as Feet, Fins and Four Wheel Drive.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
347 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Books to recommend???

Hi Joey,

We too are going to USVI for the first time this coming June. We have bought many books and maps. So far our favorite books have been Top 10 US & British Virgin Island, Frommer's: Virgin Islands, and Explore the Virgin Islands (sixth edition). The website vinow.com is loaded with information. You can buy some great books there too.

Good Luck!

Michigan
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Books to recommend???

Lonely Planet puts out really great guide books with lots of information in the culture, history and neat places to go. You can't go wrong on St. John. A few things I highly recommend:

Lunch at Skinny Legs, a cool bar in Coral Bay

Dinner at TAJ - a really great restaurant in Cruz Bay just a short walk from your hotel

Hike the trails - especially the Reef Bay Trail if you like hiking

Have a great time!

Madison
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Books to recommend???

The two you mention are the best you can get - the rest all add but they are a foundation.

Rod

Madison WI