We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry Schedule Question for Departure to Airport

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
95 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry Schedule Question for Departure to Airport

We booked our flights!!! We will be on STJ from Dec 27th to Jan 3!!! We CANNOT wait! Now I'm trying to iron out the logistics of travel times and need help.

On arrival day (flight lands at 8am), we have a full day to get from the STT airport to the Red Hook ferry and over to STJ. Once on STJ, we will pick up our rental car. Because of having the whole day to get over to Love City, I'm not stressed about making it in time for the last ferry.

However, I'm a bit worried about our return flight times... I'd like some advice/thoughts if anyone has any to share.

Our returning flight leaves STT to SJU at 10:05am. In our "normal" travels to STJ, this is how I would think about my return... Take the 6am ferry to Red Hook, grab an airport taxi by 7am, arrive at the airport by 8am, have almost 2 hours, if not more, to deal with getting on the plane.

Is this plan too lofty? I'm sure with lack of scanners and staff at the airport, I need to adjust this plan. Should we leave St. John the day before and stay close to the airport the night before our plane home? How many hours would you allot for waiting at the airport? Anything else I'm not thinking about?? Thanks for your help!!

Edited: 12:52 pm, December 04, 2017
8 replies to this topic
Maryland
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry Schedule Question for Departure to Airport

The 6AM ferry will get you to Red Hook before 6:30, and you’ll be at the airport much closer to 7 rather than 8. Crowds at the airport are much smaller in the early morning... No worries...

Boston
Level Contributor
6,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry Schedule Question for Departure to Airport

AA used to require a 3 hours check in (prior to the hurricanes) - not sure if anything has changed.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
95 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry Schedule Question for Departure to Airport

Thanks RollingPhone and saffie11! I'd love to hear from more people. Right now, I'm banking on being able to get to the airport from STJ that morning for my 10am flight back home. Fingers crossed!!!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry Schedule Question for Departure to Airport

While this post might not answer your question, it gives some recent STT experiences

www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/showflat.php…

Colorado
Level Contributor
272 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry Schedule Question for Departure to Airport

The info on that link was very helpful - thanks for sharing it

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
95 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry Schedule Question for Departure to Airport

cleobeach1 - Thanks so much for the link. It was most helpful! I've made my decision to leave on the first ferry that morning and hopefully make it to the airport in time for my 10am flight home. I'll update everyone on how my plan works!!

Charlotte
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry Schedule Question for Departure to Airport

In 2015, we took the 6am ferry for a 9am or 9:30am flight from St. Thomas airport. No problem at all. Actually, we arrived pretty early at the airport, with plenty of time. The only people on the ferry that early in the morning are workers who need to arrive at their jobs on time.

Edited: 9:30 pm, December 09, 2017
Syracuse
Level Contributor
512 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry Schedule Question for Departure to Airport

I came back from STT last Tuesday on the 3:15 AA flight. We were carryon but I didn't see lines at the AA counter. Very few people waiting-we were thru to the waiting area in less than 10 minutes.

Reply to: Ferry Schedule Question for Departure to Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted