We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nude beaches

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NewYork
6 posts
Save Topic
nude beaches

Going down to the usvi on March 25th. just wanted to know if there were any nude beaches? we are staying in St thomas, but will be in St john for a couple of days. is jumbie or soloman the only 2 were nude sunbathing is allowed? if there any other secluded beaches were this is permissable, please reply.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,660 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: nude beaches

It is illegal to be topless or nude at ALL beaches in the USVI - including Jumbie and Soloman - it is a ticketable offence so please do not do this - all beaches here are family beaches.

And remember, being in "town" in a bathing suit is also frowned upon, the culture of the VI's is very conservative.

Hope this helped clear things up.

Pia

georgia
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: nude beaches

Nude sunbathing is not allowed on any beach-it is illegal.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nude beaches

Yes it is illegal and yes you might get a "ticket" but some people still let it all hang out @ solomon but I wouldn't advise it.

Go natural @ your resort/pool/villa but not on the "public" beaches which means all beaches on St.John.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nude beaches

If you want nude beaches, your best bet is St. Martin or St. Barts. These islands are much more liberal.

Frankly, I'm glad the USVI has not gone in this direction...some of the folks who like to let it all hang out are the very ones who really shouldn't!!! It just sort of takes away one's appetite to see some wrinkly old man or pleasantly plump woman taking it all off...who wants to see that???

virginia
Level Contributor
326 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nude beaches

yes and getting to the beach with 3 little girls in tow only to discover Mr Au Natual walking around, is not a fun way to begin a family vacation!!

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
21 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nude beaches

PIA- THANK YOU FOR EXPLAINING THIS TO PEOPLE!!!!

We happened to hike to beautiful Salomon Bay, and after a few hours of having the beach to ourselves, another much older couple arrived and took it upon themselves to go nude AND be affectionate! They choose a spot right in front of us and ruined our visit to this beach, we were so shocked we left... which was unfortunate because we walked the long trail just to have an enjoyable time on this beautiful beach!

St Thomas
Level Contributor
183 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: nude beaches

The only place down here I know it is tolerated and expected is Little Magens on St Thomas, and you won't get ticket. Other than that I agree with everyone else's posts.

Rocky Top
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: nude beaches

I have seen many nude sun bathers on boats sailing in the VI! It still happens at Solomon and Jumbie at times and not sure how firm they are on this ! I am told only something is done if there is a complaint!

Last time i was was at Caneel the ladies next door from Brazil would cover up only when ask too by staff! I have also run into some at Salt Pond!

9. Re: nude beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, August 28, 2009