We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fly fishing

Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
137 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
fly fishing

anyone have any advice on the chance of anything edible coming from a bit of shoreline fly casting? I will be in the Coral Bay vicinity on my honeymoon and wouldn't mind catching dinner...not that I will make fishing a priority...grin...

Hudson Valley,NY
Level Contributor
363 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fly fishing

To be honest, fishing doesn't seem to be very popular on STJ. I've been going there & following this & other USVI forums for years, & only rarely hear anything about fishing. Anyway, you have to be careful about eating reef fish caught in the area as they may contain cigutera (sp?), which I believe is a parasite. It can make you ill. If you just want to fish for sport, try the Mary Creek area near Leinster Bay, which holds some bonefish. They do seem to be pretty wary, & stealth is required. It's only about 10 minute drive from Coral Bay. If you want to buy some fresh fish to cook, the Fish Trap in Cruz Bay has a market. Good luck & tight lines!

Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fly fishing

Bob,

Thanks! I would love to do the bonefish flats, but think there will be better times for that than my honeymoon...grin...I will stick with store bought fresh catch...

Win

3. Re: fly fishing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, August 20, 2009