We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in St Thomas - Staying at Sapphire Beach Resort

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time in St Thomas - Staying at Sapphire Beach Resort

My daughter and I are attempting to spend her break by using some of my husband's frequent flyer miles. Hotel and airfare booked, now I am experiencing a little anxiety. It will just the two of us. I really DO NOT want to rent a car. My best vacations involve a lot of walking. : ) I know we want to spend at least a day over on St John. Any advice on how to start planning activities? We do not need to be booked solidly. We both enjoy sitting on the beach and reading a good book, as well as splashing and seeing the sites.

How expensive are the restaurants? groceries? getting a glass of wine or a bottle to keep in the room? Standard touristy US beach mark-up or significantly higher?

Any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated! : ) Now to get in a few ab crunches! ; )

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: First time in St Thomas - Staying at Sapphire Beach Resort

Thank you to everyone who provided me with information. We *LOVED* our stay at Sapphire Beach. We will definitely go back, and when it happens it will not be soon enough. The beach was beautiful, the rooms okay, nothing great but clean and the decks are HUGE! I spent many an evening vegging out on the deck. For the most part our experience with the staff was positive. There were a couple of sour apples at the desk and at the security point to enter the facility, but most of the staff was friendly and kind. Our housekeeping staff was WONDERFUL!

A recap of where we ate goes as follows -

Molly Malones - pretty good, but I found the Iguanas annoying, they are okay on the beach, but not while I am eating.

Off The Hook - so, so

Cafe AMelia - a small Spanish restaurant in Charlotte Amelie, we had lunch there - VERY GOOD

Azure - Also, very good. I had a wonderful tuna there.

The pool bar/restaurant was also good. I did not eat at the main restaurant, but I heard on the beach that it had changed hands and was now quite good.

I do have more to say, but have run out of time. But St Thomas was heaven! And the only struggle in going back will be the decision on to stay at Sapphire Beach again or to do St John ( we did a day trip there and loved it!).

minnesota
7 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: First time in St Thomas - Staying at Sapphire Beach Resort

thank you all for the great info! we are going next year and it's great to hear all the feed back and tips!!!! happy travels!!!