We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasons we love Sapphire Beach!

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,568 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
Reasons we love Sapphire Beach!

With all of the recent discussions on the situation at Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina (SBRM) we thought it would be nice to have a thread for everyone to describe why they love Sapphire Beach and why it is so desireable. I'll start -

We enjoy the beautiful beaches in the BVI, and a few years ago started staying on STT after our BVI stay and before flying home. We chose Sapphire Beach for our first stay and have been hooked on her since. We find Sapphire to be a gorgeous beach with stunning water and island views, abundant natural shade, and good snorkeling - what a combination! And the close proximity to Red Hook for dining and the ferry to other islands is very convenient. We've also met a few of the owners there and they are a great group of people and very lucky.

As far as other STT beaches we've always loved Coki on a non-ship day and Secret Harbor and LIndqvist. But after seeing the beauty of Sapphire - and actually being able to stay there - I agree with all of the owners I've met there including BIll and Sheila and JIm that you can travel for years and years and not find a spot any nicer than Sapphire. Hope to enjoy many more stays at Sapphire!

Anyone else have thoughts/experiences to share on Sapphire Beach?

Mentioned in this post
Sapphire Beach Resort
Sapphire Beach Resort
718 Reviews
St. Thomas
Sapphire Beach
Sapphire Beach
1,631 Reviews
St. Thomas
Red Hook
Red Hook
St. Thomas
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
876 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasons we love Sapphire Beach!

Anyone can click over to my review on this TA site.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
211 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasons we love Sapphire Beach!

I'm digging the positivity! Thank you

Geneseo, Illinois
Level Contributor
540 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasons we love Sapphire Beach!

When we went looking for property on St. Thomas we quickly narrowed it down to SBRM. Initially we only requested a condo on the beach, but none of the other condos held a candle to Sapphire. What a beach! The white sand, shade, views and great snorkeling. I thought it was perfect before, but with the cruise hoards gone, it managed to get even better. Yes, we could have gotten more for our money elsewhere, that didn't and doesn't matter at all. I will never regret purchasing here no matter what the future holds.

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Sapphire Beach Resort
Sapphire Beach Resort
718 Reviews
St. Thomas
Durham, North...
Level Contributor
116 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reasons we love Sapphire Beach!

We purchased our condo two weeks after our first visit to Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina in 1999. We were blown away by the beach and the views and were impressed with the coral reefs and the marina. The location is ideal for enjoying all that St. Thomas and the other Virgin Islands have to offer. With every visit, I feel rejuvenated but am still never ready to leave. My guests have reported similar responses and often return.

Edited: 8:14 pm, March 26, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Sapphire Beach Resort
Sapphire Beach Resort
718 Reviews
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,609 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reasons we love Sapphire Beach!

I'm not nor have ever been an owner at Sapphire but as a STT resident for three decades this is the one spot I recommend above all to prospective visitors. It's the combination of an exquisite beach and everything else which is so often remarked upon but I think also it's the essence of "comfortability" which is so appealing. It's hard to describe but when I drive in there to first have that gorgeous view confront me, it's just so quiet and peaceful throughout the complex and it just sort of wafts through you so calmingly. No loud noises, no blaring TVs or radios or boom boxes, no rowdy boisterous behavior; even the onsite restaurant in Sapphire Village and the muted chatter of its clientele and the quiet music played is simply mellow background. Friends and family have stayed there over many years and all have loved it, whichever unit they've chosen.

There are many complexes to pick from on the island and I've been to just about all of them. The majority are quiet and peaceful but somehow SBRM has that special unique "something" - which is precisely why it attracts return visitors year after year after year!

Mentioned in this post
Sapphire Beach Resort
Sapphire Beach Resort
718 Reviews
St. Thomas
Sapphire Village Resort at Sapphire Beach
Sapphire Village Resort...
59 Reviews
St. Thomas
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
348 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reasons we love Sapphire Beach!

"it's just so quiet and peaceful throughout the complex and it just sort of wafts through you so calmingly. No loud noises, no blaring TVs or radios or boom boxes, no rowdy boisterous behavior; even the onsite restaurant in Sapphire Village and the muted chatter of its clientele and the quiet music played is simply mellow background."

I promise I am not trying to be negative, but where do you think we went wrong, or what went wrong when we visited Sapphire? I was so excited to stay here, for the exact reasons described. However we were met with crowds that gathered right outside our patio, loud music blaring out of their boom box, next door neighbors who were smoking on their deck all the time and it wafed over, (not always cigarettes mind you) and people who took our chairs any time we set them out, sometimes throwing our towels on the sand to take them. For reference, we were in unit B102, in January 2014. I guess I am just wondering if I should give Sapphire another try and if there is something I should do differently. I would sure like to experience the Sapphire Beach that was described above. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Sapphire Village Resort at Sapphire Beach
Sapphire Village Resort...
59 Reviews
St. Thomas
Sapphire Beach Resort
Sapphire Beach Resort
718 Reviews
St. Thomas
Sapphire Beach
Sapphire Beach
1,631 Reviews
St. Thomas
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reasons we love Sapphire Beach!

What a great thread! Seems people are quick to point out what they see as the bad. I'm glad to see a positive post for a great property.

As you may have guessed from my avatar I work for American Airlines. This has afforded me to travel the world extensively and see what is "out there". I have taken full advantage of this privilege over the past 20 years and I have seen more than most will ever see.

We have always been drawn to the Caribbean. It is where we have spent most of our vacations in the last 10 years or so. This is not by coincidence. It is from years and years of traveling to the "great" places people speak of and seeing what they have to offer. In our travels we have been to many "once in a lifetime" places. But after time we found that the USVI/BVI are our favorite and Sapphire Beach Resort and Marina is where we have found ourselves over and over.

Like I said, we have seen some of the most beautiful places in the world. My wife and I love the beach, specifically Caribbean beaches. Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, Barbados, Grenada, St Vincent and the Grenadines/Tobago Cays, St Lucia, Martinique, Dominica, Antigua, St Kitts, Saint Martin-Saint Maarten, Anguilla, BVI, USVI, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Turks/Caicos, Bahamas (Nassau, Andros, Grand Bahama, Eleuthera, Great Exuma), Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Roatan....yes I've been to all of them. Many multiple times over the years. This is just the Caribbean, never mind the other places like Hawaii, Central America, Mexico, Far East and South Pacific destinations oh and let’s not forget the Mediterranean.

We have stayed at many beachfront properties, in fact most places we have stayed have been beachfront. Over the years we have made short lists of our favorite places and St Thomas, specifically Sapphire Beach Resort and Marina is consistently at the top of that list. So much that in the last few years we continue to return here despite the ability to visit pretty much anywhere we would like to. We are beachbums!

It’s all about the beach and the property. Yes there are nicer beaches out there. But none can compare when it comes to the quality of the beach, the location and layout of SBRM, and the affordability of SBRM. There are few places that check all of those boxes, especially the affordability box. Yes, Antigua, Bahamas, and Grand Cayman have some great properties on some great beaches, but they don't compare with the affordability of SBRM. We feel like SBRM is the right mix of a great beach with great snorkeling and a great property that is truly beachfront (with the exception of bldg F). We love how the buildings are positioned mere feet from the water and can take full advantage of the great breeze off the Caribbean Sea. We love being able to leave our doors open at night and let the breeze and sound of the Caribbean Sea lull us to sleep. Many places say they are beachfront, but in reality very few units are beachfront. Many times you will find your unit is way in the back far from the beach. Not at SBRM, beachfront means beachfront (except bldg F).

Some discount the property because the restaurant and pool bar are closed and those buildings are, as some have said, in disrepair. But we don't mind that at all. I kind of like the fact that it keeps the traffic volume down. Even with the latest strife with the developer and the closing of DiveIn and restricting the hoards of day trippers off the cruise ships we find it MORE enjoyable at SBRM now. The crowds are fewer and the beach was much cleaner when we were there a couple weeks ago. Having the marina on property is a convenience that many people overlook. Most of the excursions/charters we have taken over the years have departed from SBRM marina. How convenient is that? Then there is the proximity to Red Hook and TuTu. Nothing is more than 5 or 10 minutes away. The location is great to say the least.

We love SBRM so much that we have begun to search for a condo of our own. Hopefully we will find the perfect unit on the perfect beach.

Thanks for starting this thread....I could go on and on!

Mike in Tulsa

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Sapphire Beach Resort
Sapphire Beach Resort
718 Reviews
St. Thomas
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Curacao
Curacao
Caribbean
Bonaire
Bonaire
Caribbean
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Grenada
Grenada
Caribbean
Tobago Cays
Tobago Cays
325 Reviews
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Martinique
Martinique
Caribbean
Dominica
Dominica
Caribbean
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
St. Kitts
St. Kitts
St. Kitts and Nevis
Saint-Martin
Saint-Martin
St Martin / St Maarten
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
Great Exuma
Great Exuma
Out Islands
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Red Hook
Red Hook
St. Thomas
North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,568 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reasons we love Sapphire Beach!

Mike you listed many of our favorite beach spots and locations and we still love, love, love them all! But I agree with your take on Sapphire and with the reflections of STTResident. Orchid, and Marsha. Just the "comfortableness" and setting that grabbed us. And being so easy to get compared to many of those other gorgeous spots doesn't hurt either...

Love to hear more of everyone's stories and experiences!

Mentioned in this post
Sapphire Beach Resort
Sapphire Beach Resort
718 Reviews
St. Thomas
Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,242 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reasons we love Sapphire Beach!

It's rewarding when folks find the "perfect" place for them. There's nothing quite like it. But the critical thing here is this: FOR THEM. It's easy to get carried away on a forum (I also get carried away sometimes when talking about places I truly love), but the main point of this type of forum is not to tell others where they should vacation but rather to help them find the perfect place that suits them. For example, if I had never been to the Caribbean, I would just be blown away by all the wonderful love shown for Sapphire Beach. But I've been there, done that many places and Sapphire isn't my cup of tea. That's just me...personal choice, and all that.

It's a lovely beach, the water is beautiful, the snorkeling is good (not great), but much of what another poster mentioned about the loud noise and smoking are also things to consider. The bottom line: you get what you pay for. Compare prices and perks.

I've been around the Caribbean as well and have stayed at many places that are more beautiful with much better amenities, no rowdy crowds, no cruise ship hoards, and a variety of great places to eat onsite.

It all depends on what you are looking for, YOU being the poster we should all be trying to help. I always advise people to do their own research, look up places in a variety of sources, check out various opinions. Many times on TA I have found posters who enjoy the type of places I like and enjoy the activities I like, and they are often a treasure trove of info. I cannot imagine, however, following the advice of anyone who seems to be my opposite.

So, this is not to say anything bad about Sapphire Beach. As I said, it's a lovely strand of sand. But it's not for everyone and people, especially those coming to the islands for the first time, should be careful to research all the possibilities -- no matter where you go -- to avoid disappointment.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Sapphire Beach
Sapphire Beach
1,631 Reviews
St. Thomas
Sapphire Beach Resort
Sapphire Beach Resort
718 Reviews
St. Thomas
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,609 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reasons we love Sapphire Beach!

kzdallas: The thread wasn't entitled, "The Pros and Cons of Sapphire Beach" or even, "How Do You Feel About Sapphire Beach". It simply encouraged the participation of those who love it to freely express their reasons for feeling as they do about the property, undistracted by negative posts. Of course it's not for everyone - no one place is.

Mentioned in this post
Sapphire Beach
Sapphire Beach
1,631 Reviews
St. Thomas
Get answers to your questions about East End