We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting groceries on way to Sapphire beach from airport

Woodstock, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
getting groceries on way to Sapphire beach from airport

Hello,

We are going to Sapphire beach resorts in April. We would like to stop at a grocery store on the way. We are planning on taking a taxi. Since we will have our luggage, what would be suggested? Should we just run in and grab some beer/rum and provisions quickly while the taxi waits and come back again for more another day? Should we go to the condo and then take the dollar bus to red hook and take a cab back? Would it be more beneficial to go to the Cost U Less on way and have the cab wait? Or is there some way to keep luggage safe while we shop at Cost U Less and then get another taxi? We want to get stuff for sandwiches/ lunches (picnics), breakfast, and some easy dinners... there is no BBQ unfortunately where we are going. Any suggestions on what to buy for the week. We will want to eat at some restaurants in Red Hook for dinner and we also planning a day in St John and a charter to BVI's one day.

Thanks

Carol

Great Meadows, New...
Level Contributor
97 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting groceries on way to Sapphire beach from airport

we always stop at the Food Center on the way. They have pretty much everything.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting groceries on way to Sapphire beach from airport

Taxis from the airport to Sapphire will not be exclusive to your group as they fill the taxis with people going to Sapphire or nearby resorts.As a result unless you have a private taxi they will not stop at a grocery store. On the rare occasions when we do not rent a car what we do is my wife gives me a shopping list and I go to either Food Center or Plaza Extra (prefer Plaza) by taxi. I ask them to either wait for me or come back in 20 minutes usually they will but if they don't just ask the kid bagging your groceries to get you a cab. Only I go because taxis charge by the person so no need for more than one person to go.

if you take the dollar bus do not get off in Red hook as there is no grocery store there continue a mile or so and get off at Food Center and get a taxi back.

I cover a lot of information like this in my "Bill's List" document so you might use that thread to request it.

Edited: 3:23 pm, February 15, 2014
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,272 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting groceries on way to Sapphire beach from airport

It wouldn't be usual to find any taxis waiting around at CostULess but if you go further up to Tutu Park Mall you can shop at Plaza Extra supermarket for everything you need and the baggers will easily find you a taxi to get you up the road to Sapphire. The staff there is very helpful and you could leave your luggage at the service desk while you shop. If you wanted to double check beforehand you could call either Willy or Naji there at 340-775-5646. Taxi to Plaza would cost you $8 per person + $2 for luggage, taxi rates here:

vinow.com/stthomas/…

and taxi from Plaza to Sapphire should be around $5 per person plus tip - you can negotiate that! You can also check to see what additional a taxi would charge to take you to Plaza and wait. There are waiting rates you'll find on the link posted but waiting may not be possible or viable if there are other passengers in the vehicle which is most likely.

It does sort of beg the question why you're not renting a car for your visit but if you're really set on that then hope this information helps!

PS: Ah, I see Bill and I posted at the same time!

Edited: 3:39 pm, February 15, 2014
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
876 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting groceries on way to Sapphire beach from airport

Hi Carol,

Lucky you!

When staying on Sapphire we have a car and take a few runs to Food Center. It's nice an convenient and has most things.

You were asking what to get.

The first thing we load into the shopping cart is a case of bottled water.

I bring breakfast bars, tea bags and ground coffee from home. These, plus OJ from the store, are fine for breakfast -- and transportable to your beach chair. I bring plastic travel mugs from home. Great for morning coffee on the beach, as well as afternoon wine. I also bring flax crackers from home and an assortment of nuts and dried fruit.

Food Center has packaged lunch meats, hummus and guac in little tubs; chips, bread. Easy stuff for grab and go lunches.

They have ice cream and alcohol, as well. Plenty of fruit and veggie choices. Frozen food, too (pizzas burritos...) to make your life easier after a long day at the beach.

I like buying fresh fish and tossing it in a pan & microwaving a side dish or veggies. A very easy dinner. We did the fish run to Food Center nearly every day.

What I described may not be exactly what is on your hoped-for menu for the week. But I hope it helps. Keep it simple. Vacation time goes far too fast.

Covington, Louisiana
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: getting groceries on way to Sapphire beach from airport

How do you get a private taxi? Are they at the airport like the other taxis? We also want to stop at the grocery before going to Sapphire Resort. And I realize it is by person, the cost, so private is more expensive?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,272 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting groceries on way to Sapphire beach from airport

The taxi dispatcher at the airport will find you a private taxi and if you look at my previous post I linked the taxi rates. If you go down to the bottom of the page you'll find information on the private rates. Although the rates are posted, best to confirm price with the driver.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
211 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: getting groceries on way to Sapphire beach from airport

We are going April 5-12. Maybe we will see you there. We are staying in building E. We stayed there last MAy and loved it. We were planning on stopping at Cost U less food mart on our way from the airport but in my research I read that Cost u Less is more of a bulk type store for someone buying for a long visit so I'm going to stop at the food store right past redhook- called Food Center

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,272 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: getting groceries on way to Sapphire beach from airport

That's a misconception about CULess. They have plenty of packaging suitable for a couple of people and if there's something you need which doesn't come in a smaller package you can just continue on Rte 38 and swing into Plaza Extra in the Tutu Park shopping mall to fill in the gaps. When you come out from there, continuing on Rte 38 takes you through to Sapphire.

9. Re: getting groceries on way to Sapphire beach from airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, March 21, 2015
Get answers to your questions about East End