We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st timer needing a little help

Louisville...
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
1st timer needing a little help

I have spent hours on this site reading all the reviews about stt. We are planning to come down there at the end of May. I was planning on getting the all-inclusive packages at a resort. However now after reading this reviews i am not sure what to do. We are not wanting to stuck in one hotel. I am concerned about the meal plans because i love to try new places. My biggest ? i guess is if I don't get the meal plan will I ended up paying a lot more for a meal at a restaurant than if I do get it. One last ? also. Which is more likely to cost more a resort with all-inclusive or a condo and doing it own your own (assuming the condo and resort room rate or the same.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st timer needing a little help

Take a look on www.vrbo.com for condo rentals at Sapphire, Crystal Cove (both on beautiful Sapphire beach) and Elysian. You can check their prices and if you take a look at the restaurant reviews on TA you'll find links to their menus which will give you an idea of prices.

There is only hotel on St Thomas which offers a full AI - Sugar Bay. It's just not popular here and I think you'll enjoy a condo much more!

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,312 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st timer needing a little help

Yes, STT is not a typical AI destination like so mant other Caribbean islands are. STTResident's advice is right on and she was extremelyhelpfulto us when we were researching STT. We stay at the Sapphire and there are several other choices, all on the beautiful East End of the island.

And yes, renting a condo and buying groceries gives you the option of eating in for breakfast and some lunches and still enjoying eating out too. Unless you really need the full-service resort experience of a Ritz Carlton or Marriott I agree a condo or villa is the best option on STT. You can also rent a condo at the RC if you want a more "up-scale" experience than a normal condo resort offers. But Sapphire is gorgeous and Secret Harbor is nice too. We prefer the East End because Red Hook offers several bars / restaurants and the ferry to St John and the BVI.

Do be sure to rent directly from an owner through VRBO or another site, we also have contact info for an owner with units we enjoy if you want that.

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st timer needing a little help

Please do yourself a favor and if you rent a condo (except at Secret Harbor) follow CRMOORES excellent advice and rent it DIRECTLY from an owner. Stay away from all "third parties". Just rent a unit that has a bunch of good reviews on the VRBO/HomeAway listing, or on Tirpadvisor in the review section.

Also, in addition to SBR&M and SBCW, consider Sapphire Village. It largely built into the side of a hill, which has advantages and disadvantages, and the units are somewhat smaller. The rates, however are lower.

Oh yes, hire a car.

Steve

Louisville...
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st timer needing a little help

Thanks for all the input. Yes I have been looking on the VRBO site for the condo's. Can I ask a few more ?'s If I decide to just get the condo and go that route. Is it very important to make reservations and book all our events that we want to do or can we just come down and (lets say) go snorkeling when ever we want. I guess what i am asking is do i need to try and make out a schedule and make all kinds of reservations. for all the activities.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st timer needing a little help

No you don't have to make any advance plans for the end of May. At Sapphire the snorkeling off the beach is very good and right on your doorstep. If you want to take a day sail (highly recommended) and hit some offshore snorkeling spots there are excellent well-established charters which run right out of the Sapphire marina or a five minute drive away out of American Yacht Harbor in Red Hook, so you can check out the boats at the tail end of the day, chat with the operators and make your bookings directly with them.

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st timer needing a little help

"New Horizons" still probably has their deal where you take their dinner cruise one evening and then for half price their day-sail the following day.

The dinner cruise is much more of a dinner than a cruise, and the dinner is pretty good.. We have not taken their day-sail.

It seems to be an exceptional deal--if they are still offering it.

Steve

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,312 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st timer needing a little help

We took the NH daysail last month and it was a good day for $75pp. Friends took the dinner sail that evening and enjoyed that too.

I would also look at the Daydreamer out of the nearby Sugar Bay Resort for a snorkel stop at STJ and then the rest of the day on Josts.

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st timer needing a little help

I took a half day sail on Daydreamer some years ago, and it was excellent. I believe that the same operator also sails "Coconut".

But, I think that the NH two for one and a half is the most bang for your buck.

Steve

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st timer needing a little help

"But, I think that the NH two for one and a half is the most bang for your buck."

Their website mentions nothing about this particular deal but they do have a discount for reserving online.

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st timer needing a little help

They may have dropped it (too much B for the B) or it may not be on their website. I would call them and ask.

Steve

Get answers to your questions about East End