We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which building Crystal Cove

Venice, FL
Level Contributor
143 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Which building Crystal Cove

I am just starting to look at Crystal Cove. We were on St. Thomas for a day during a cruise and went to Sapphire Beach for the day. We loved it so much we want to go back.

I noticed they have 4 buildings. Which have the better view or are closer to the beach, etc.

Does this property have the long hike up a hill like Sapphire Beach Condo does to get to the road? We are thinking of just taking the Safari Bus around, but if there is a steep hill, it might be hard taking snorkle equipment, etc. to go to a different beach etc.

Any thoughts on specific units would be appreciated.

Thank

Cheryl

Mentioned in this post
Sapphire Beach
Sapphire Beach
1,622 Reviews
St. Thomas
Virginia
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which building Crystal Cove

I'd look for D, C, B and A in that order. It's a level walk out to the road. Safari bus to other beaches? Not likely. Rent a car or spring for a taxi.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which building Crystal Cove

Most likely when you visited you were on the Sapphire Beach Resort and Marina beach. If you walked over to Crystal Cove you would have seen that the complex is in the shape of a U. Facing the ocean, the A building is on the left, and the D building is on the right of the U.

If having a view from your unit is important then the A building is really the only building with an ocean view. The other buildings have a beach view but are set back so the view isn't the same. If a view isn't important then it really doesn't matter which building you are in.

You should be aware that there are absolutely no amenities at Crystal Cove. You will have to go over to Sapphire Beach Resort and Marina to get a cab, check in, and get any help if the unit is in the rental pool.

Regarding walking up to the road to get the dollar bus, the hill is not as steep as at SBRM but if you stay at SBRM there is nothing to stop you from walking to the road that same way.

You didn't ask, but do some research on TA about the dollar bus. It is a really bad way for a tourist to travel to different beaches.

Mentioned in this post
Sapphire Beach Resort
Sapphire Beach Resort
718 Reviews
St. Thomas
Virginia
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which building Crystal Cove

Hey Bill,

One of us has had too many "teas" tonight - we usually agree so what's up?

A building is closest to SBRM, no? And has a view towards building D

While building D is furthest and has a view towards St J.

We do have common ground on the dollar bus.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which building Crystal Cove

Maybe it is the terminology. If with your back to the resort and your face to the ocean the A building is on the left, and the D on the right. The A building unit closest to the beach was the developers unit and is a double ( both up and down levels). It is closest to Pelican Beach.

Before Sapphire Beach Resort and Marina was built we used to stay at Crystal Cove and were always in the D building for no particular reason. The D building is closest to Sapphire Beach Resort and Marina.

My guess is it is just a different perspective in looking at the resort. Of course the other alternative is that one or both of us have had to much "tea".

Edited: 9:23 pm, February 16, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Sapphire Beach Resort
Sapphire Beach Resort
718 Reviews
St. Thomas
Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which building Crystal Cove

I hate to be this blunt, but you guys have it all wrong.

First, since the beach was "stolen", there is only one beach. Bill, I believe what you meant to say was "the Eastern portion of Sapphire Beach".

As far as Sapphire Bay Condominiums West (as it is correctly known) is concerned, the view from all buildings is approximately equivalent. What is important, is the height of the unit. As I am sure you know, there is a line of shade-providing sea-grape trees just before the beach. Unfortunately, they also pretty well block the view from almost every lower level (odd-numbered) unit. Upper-level (even-numbered) units, on the other hand. all have excellent views because they are above the height of the sea-grape trees.

The very best views are from upper-level units in building C because it faces directly towards the ocean. There are a very few low-numbered units in building A that do have a pretty good view, but it may only be A~3, and there may be one or two high-numbered units in building D.

If you go to bestbeach.com there is an excellent aerial view, with the buildings (properly) labeled.

I'm not sure of the significance of an "ocean view" v a "beach view", but when you are looking at something a couple of miles away, a few hundred feet more or less is pretty trivial

Although SBCW has few "amenities" it is absolutely not true to say that there are none. It certainly has a decent salt-water pool (which is almost always operational), and two pretty well maintained lighted tennis courts .In addition, most owners provide a host of things within their units for their guests, running from printers and snorkel gear, up through clothes washer's and dryers. These might be considered "amenities".

I don't know where you get the idea that someone staying at SBCW has to go to SBR&M to get a cab. A cab can always meet you at the gate, and usually at your building.

If you don't make the mistake of renting a unit from a third party, and instead rent directly from an owner, you don't have to go anywhere to "check-in", because there is no "check-in". You just go directly to your unit. You also don't have to be concerned about getting anything from a "rental pool".

As far as the "hill" not being "as steep" as at other places, there is nothing on SBCW property that can be considered a "hill". SBCW is built on essentially level ground. This is also the reason why it does not make all that much difference which building you are in as far as proximity to the beach is concerned.. Building A is the closest, and building C is the furthest, but even you are in the furthest unit from the beach in building C (approximately five hundred feet) It is a very easy walk. IMHO, it is easier to walk from a lower level unit in building C to the beach, than from the beach to an upper level unit in building A, and then have flight of stairs to climb.

I mention this only because BB brought up the matter, but if you are not concerned about the view, there are several advantages to lower level units. These include not having a flight of stairs to climb, a small private "backyard", and the ability to park your car close to the rear door. In fact condominium fees are a smidge higher for lower level units than upper level units.

Disclaimer: Unlike the previous posters, I actually own a unit at SBCW!

P.S. I also know to whom I write the check every month.

Steve

Mentioned in this post
Sapphire Beach
Sapphire Beach
1,622 Reviews
St. Thomas
Virginia
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which building Crystal Cove

So to answer the original poster's question about Crystal Cove and after looking at the bestbeach.com web site for Crystal Cove that is referred to I will I will admit to my confusion.

Bill and I agree that A is preferable.

Cheers.

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which building Crystal Cove

BB

Regarding your second post, all four buildings at SBCW are two level. When it was built, the (Boston based) builder, Max Wasserman, created a unique unit for himself 'A1/A2" which was a single unit with two levels. He also endowed that unit with a very nice semicircular patio on common property.

As you may know, my dad was the first president of the Bod D, and one of his first and primary jobs was suing Mr. Wasserman for a variety of reasons.

Recently, someone (according to the coconut telegraph the current owner of A.H. Riise) obtained ownership of units C1 and C2, gutted them down to the structural elements, and is creating a second "duplex". The project may have been completed by now, I don't know.

Until a few years ago, building D was considered the least desirable because of noise from the restaurant. Unfortunately, that problem seems to have been solved.

Steve

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which building Crystal Cove

JLT

I think you mean that building A is the closest to the beach.

The best views are from the upper level of Building C.

I know that this is subjective, but IMHO the difference between lower level and upper level is substantially greater, in several respects than the building that a unit is in.

Steve

Venice, FL
Level Contributor
143 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which building Crystal Cove

Wow, lots of discussion here. Thank you everyone for your comments. From all your posts I have determined that view isn't the most important thing to us. I think we will look for first floor units so that we have easy acess to the beach. Also we plan to rent a car now and having easy access to the condo from the parking lot makes sense too.

Now I just have to convince hubby that driving on the left side of the road won't be that hard. With speed limit being 35 max, he should do ok.

Looking forward to our next visit to St. Thomas

Thanks again

Geneseo, Illinois
Level Contributor
539 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which building Crystal Cove

" Sapphire Bay Condominiums West (as it is correctly known) ". Steve, you are the only one that calls Crystal Cove that. I pity your renters should they get lost & have to ask for directions to "Sapphire Bay Condominiums West". Now if they asked for "Crystal Cove", everyone knows where that is. It truly doesn't matter what the correct name is to anyone but you.

Get answers to your questions about East End