We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sapphire bay or Magen's beach?

saginaw, michigan
Level Contributor
42 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
sapphire bay or Magen's beach?

Which beach is your favorite? Sapphire beach or Magens? Which one has calmer water? Anything else to consider when deciding?

Mentioned in this post
Sapphire Beach
Sapphire Beach
1,631 Reviews
St. Thomas
Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: sapphire bay or Magen's beach?

I am at Sapphire now and yesterday having reached the upper limit of laziness used the public restroom rather than going 10 feet further to my condo

No lady will be pleased with the bathroom I was not very happy with my choice when I saw the men's room

I haven't been to Magen's of late but the facilities at Sapphire are NOT good

Mentioned in this post
Sapphire Beach Resort
Sapphire Beach Resort
718 Reviews
St. Thomas
Connecticut
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: sapphire bay or Magen's beach?

I'm back from my cruise. We did go to Sapphire. I'm embarrassed to say that I never got around to checking the restrooms. The beach was beautiful, There were 4 ships in port that day, but it didn't feel too crowded. We rented chairs from the dive shop ($7ea) but didn't bother with an umbrella since there was plenty of shade. DH loved the snorkeling. In answer to the original question, Magens has much calmer water. Now that I've been to both, I'd choose Sapphire over Magens. Less crowded, better snorkeling, and I like the water to be not so calm. I won't let the restroom conditions keep me away next time.

Mentioned in this post
Sapphire Beach Resort
Sapphire Beach Resort
718 Reviews
St. Thomas
North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,568 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: sapphire bay or Magen's beach?

Thanks for following up! We too like more waves than what Magens has on a typical day. Magens is nice for young kids, but if you want some waves to play in Sapphire is great and the island views are gorgeous.

I have to ask - are you embarrased because you used an alternate "restroom"? {;>) it begged the question

Mentioned in this post
Sapphire Beach Resort
Sapphire Beach Resort
718 Reviews
St. Thomas
Colorado
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: sapphire bay or Magen's beach?

Think if not wanting snorkeling prefer Megan's over Sapphire because the facilities are open and kept up. Sad the condo association is not keeping up the bathroom.

Mentioned in this post
Sapphire Beach Resort
Sapphire Beach Resort
718 Reviews
St. Thomas
Connecticut
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: sapphire bay or Magen's beach?

LOL crmoores -- no, didn't use an "alternate restroom" -- only embarrassed that after all the times I asked about it, I didn't bother to see for myself when we were there!

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,568 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: sapphire bay or Magen's beach?

LOL -Gotchya timetocruise!

Tina yes, hopefully that's resolved. The bathrooms are maintained, they can just get "used" after a long day. There are pics on cruisecritic that show how nice they are on "normal" days. Compared to other beach restrooms, these are very nice. Perhaps a better maintenance schedule is needed, or a fee as on other islands! We still love it there as others do, the amenities are fine. The only other beach we would choose for a cruise stop or a week stay is Secret Harbor.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: sapphire bay or Magen's beach?

I'd pay a buck to use a clean bathroom

Naples
Level Contributor
17 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: sapphire bay or Magen's beach?

Love Both- watch out for the jelly fish -lots of them

Sapphire is good for snorkeling - you need water shoes for this beach

Megans Beach is lovely

Mentioned in this post
Sapphire Beach Resort
Sapphire Beach Resort
718 Reviews
St. Thomas
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,609 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: sapphire bay or Magen's beach?

Jelly fish are only here for a brief period during the summer, primarily July/August. No water shoes needed at Sapphire - there is one very small area of the beach which has rocky access to the water but otherwise it's all sandy. Sapphire is known for its snorkeling ops, Magens for its very calm water but very limited snorkeling there.

Mentioned in this post
Sapphire Beach Resort
Sapphire Beach Resort
718 Reviews
St. Thomas
30. Re: sapphire bay or Magen's beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 06, 2014
Get answers to your questions about East End