We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing Food

Cape Canaveral
Level Contributor
157 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Packing Food

I see that some of you have packed frozen meat. I looked on Spirit Airlines and they said you can bring perishable food on plane - in case there are delays. Does anyone know anything about this? I could put it in checked baggage inside a softside cooler with cold pack. But, if I carry it on, I'm afraid they wont allow it. I dont want to have to give up 4 filet mignons!

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,037 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Packing Food

Remember too that although bringing food IN isn't an issue, there are restrictions on taking food OUT with meats forbidden as well as several fruits and vegetables. I wouldn't pack any pasta or rice or those sorts of staples as there's a huge selection here at reasonable prices. If you're in a large group that's one thing but for one or two people it's not worth the effort and space.

Cape Canaveral
Level Contributor
157 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Packing Food

Thanks. I wasnt planning on bringing anything home. Whatever we have left over to eat we will try and eat before we leave or throw away. We will just be doing shorts, tanks, Tees and bathing suits - so we dont need much space. If rice and pasta is cheap there - what is expensive? Meat? I'd like to bring some lunch meats but they may thaw out faster.

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
310 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Packing Food

I flew from Kansas City to St. Kitts in May. Drove 1 hour to airport, arrived at airport 1.5 hours early, then flew ~8 hours.

I set my home freezer to the lowest temperature the night before, vacuum sealed my meat, and had a layer of clothes above and below it, and it didn't thaw one bit. And this was with steak, bacon, hamburger and chicken breasts.

Cape Canaveral
Level Contributor
157 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Packing Food

We will be leaving Cape Canaveral for Orlando A/P at 5:30 am and with all the times and stopovers, wont arrive in St T until 3:30, then have to wait for baggage. Probably wont get to condo until 5:00 pm. So that's almost 12 hours.

Did you just wrap the meat in newspaper in between your clothes inside a cooler or a plain suitcase? Or were your clothes in a cooler too? Was this checked baggage or carry on?

NJ
Level Contributor
241 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Packing Food

The last time I went, I checked a softsided cooler, lined with "techni-ice" (google it) and packed steaks, bacon, butter, bagels, etc. I took cheese in a carry on bag with some techni-ice (yes, they have cheese in STT, but this was stuff that can be hard to find even in the continental US, such as English Cotswold, St. Agur). We left the house at 6am, got to STT around noon, didn't get checked into our room till 3pm (cooler stayed in hot car). everything was still frozen solid.

reason we checked the bag:

We fly out of Newark so we didn't want to worry about a hassle with airport security, which is unpredictable at Newark. As it was, a supervisor had to come over to inspect the techni-ice in my carry on to decide if it was allowed or not (it's basically some fibers soaked in water and frozen, shouldn't be a problem). I've heard issues with people trying to carry on yogurt. It's definitely a "your milage may vary" situation.

In my suitcase, I packed a lot of kitchen staples and found I came back with a lot of unopened condiments that I thought I'd use but didn't. Next time, I'll just buy it in STT if I want it and only focus on the high-end stuff that would be harder to find or very expensive. Oh, I also packed some utensils that I like to use (my chef's knife, tongs, a few others). Next trip (no kids) I'll be packing a lot lighter. I do not plan to spend my whole vacation cooking and cleaning!

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,037 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Packing Food

The oft-repeated advice where condiments/spices are concerned is to pack small amounts in little baggies. They cram into small spaces very easily and negates the need to bring back regular containers.

Cape Canaveral
Level Contributor
157 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Packing Food

Thanks for the info on packing food. I just got back from my trip and I wanted to note here that all went well with taking food. I had a soft-sided cooler with filet mignon, 2 small roasts, and bacon. All frozen solid and wrapped in newspaper. It was still frozen (after almost 12 hours) altho had thawed a tiny bit around the edges. I also took pasta, English muffins, coffee, tea, cheese, and butter. When we went shopping for milk & eggs in St T - I was amazed at the cost of food. And also very expensive to eat out.

It really helped to especially have breakfast food at "home" since I dont like having to get up early just to drive someplace for breakfast. And no place nearby Sapphire served it anyway. On vacation, we wanted to sleep in!

Cape Canaveral
Level Contributor
157 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Packing Food

To SoidaNJ: I packed my food in my checked baggage so I wouldnt get hassled by airport security. I put clothes and shoes in carry on back pack. I cooked mostly breakfasts and 3 nights dinner at home out of 10 days (2 were travel days). I dont like the idea of packing food or cooking/cleaning either on vacation. But, it helped in costs. And the extra money was used for "playing".

NJ
Level Contributor
241 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Packing Food

RosanneM: I'm totally with you on breakfast - I'd rather eat in (and at Frenchman's Cove we have a balcony with an amazing view), especially since I have yet to find a breakfast place that actually knows how to brew tea properly. I'd also rather cook than pay a lot of money for a meal that I can easily make much better - I'd rather save my money for someplace unique. Glad it all worked out for you!

20. Re: Packing Food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, August 21, 2013