We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help, please! - Trying to find a particular hotel/resort

Which Charlotte Amalie hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hartford...
Level Contributor
81 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Help, please! - Trying to find a particular hotel/resort

St. Thomas experts, please help!

My mother passed away recently, and she asked that her closest family members return to St. Thomas in her memory. My mother was a fairly frequent visitor to St. Thomas. I'm hoping that with my description, one of you can help me locate the hotel/resort where my mother always stayed.

One year (1998ish), I wanted to surprise my mother by treating her to a trip to St. Thomas. I booked a hotel that wasn't to her liking, but was located right next to her favorite resort. After one night, my mother relocated us to the resort next door. This is what I remember -

The hotel I booked was located on top of a hill, that required walking up and down several flights of stairs to get anywhere. The room we were assigned was very large with tile floors, somewhat Spartan decorations, and a huge ceiling fan. We also had a balcony view of the ocean. There may have been hotel-owned beach property but the rooms did not provide walk-out access to the beach. Although I was fine with the accommodations, they weren't close to "resort" standards, so my mother insisted on treating me to her favorite resort.

When walking down the several flights of stairs to the beach from the hotel, the resort I'm trying to identify is located to the left of and "below" the hotel I initially booked (described in the above paragraph). The resort had several restaurants on-site, including a pool side dining area. The pool was very large, nice, and situated between the main hotel area and the beach.

There was a dive shop located on, or directly adjacent to the resort. I took a scuba lesson, which began with a dive in the resort's pool and ended with a beach dive.

Can anyone identify this property? Thank you so much for your help!

Colorado
Level Contributor
902 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Help, please! - Trying to find a particular hotel/resort

Okay guess I wasn't thinking of Coral World, so it's was on the north side

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Help, please! - Trying to find a particular hotel/resort

Coral World is East at Coki.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
81 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Help, please! - Trying to find a particular hotel/resort

You guys nailed it!! It was definitely Point Pleasant and the Renaissance!! Thank you so much!!

Since returning to the Renaissance is obviously not an option, can you make a recommendation as to where to stay in that area?

Is Point Pleasant a good option? When I was there before, I know Point Pleasant had accommodations that I could have been just fine with. But that was years ago!

Have you heard when Margaritaville is going to be up and running?

Hartford...
Level Contributor
81 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Help, please! - Trying to find a particular hotel/resort

As an aside, doesn't "coki" mean frog?

My mom was a huge collector of frogs, and I think I remember her telling me that Coki meant frog, which is why the place she stayed in St. Thomas was perfect for her!

It's all coming together now! Thanks again!

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Help, please! - Trying to find a particular hotel/resort

How many of you are going to be coming here?

Yes, the cokis are what we call "tree frogs" and they loudly carouse in the trees at night-time. I have hundreds around me and their chirruping combined with the sounds of the surf way below me soothe me to sleep every night!

Hartford...
Level Contributor
81 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Help, please! - Trying to find a particular hotel/resort

STT - there may be anywhere from 3 of us to 7 of us. I think it's most likely going to be 3.

Love your story about the cokis! Thank you for sharing!

West Frankfort...
Level Contributor
558 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Help, please! - Trying to find a particular hotel/resort

Here is a link to info about the Margaritaville hotel. Not sure of expected opening date.

virginislandsdailynews.com/news/buffett-wynd…

Check vrbo.com for units at point pleasant. Looks like they have great views and a casual waterfront restaurant (pangas) and a high up restaurant with a great view to open soon (blue agave).

Glad you figured out the mystery and I hope you have a nice trip in your mothers memory.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Help, please! - Trying to find a particular hotel/resort

Take a look on www.vrbo.com for condo units at Sapphire. Right on one of the most beautiful beaches on St Thomas it's a 5 minute drive from the old Renaissance and 5 minutes from the Red Hook ferry terminal if you wanted to pop over to St John for a day trip.

You can see the webcam here and also check out the linked aerial shoot taken from a robot camera - awesome!

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com/

19. Re: Help, please! - Trying to find a particular hotel/resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, March 23, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Charlotte Amalie