We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach at Marriott?

Which Charlotte Amalie hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
Level Contributor
22 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Beach at Marriott?

My wife and I are looking for a great resort in Caribbean to spend a week this summer. I was looking at the Frenchman (hotel not timeshare) on St Thomas. But looks like the beach is a hike from the hotel? We would like a resort with then each close by.

We are also looking at Sandals Antigua, Marriott St Kitts and Marriott Grand Cayman.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

New York, New York
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Beach at Marriott?

I have been to this resort before, as others have said, the Morninstar is right on the beach. The hotel is aboslutely gorgeous and has amazing amenities with great views. I would still recommend getting a car and exploring some of the other beautiful beaches on the island like Magens Bay, at least a couple of the days. But the Marriott beach is quite beautiful and definitely worth staying at as well. I am going back next week!

mn
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Beach at Marriott?

I love St. Thomas, St. John but,

I have to recommend the Jolly Beach Resort, In Antigua

The best beach I have ever seen, great food and drink for a A/I.

NJ
Level Contributor
241 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Beach at Marriott?

I just got back from 2 weeks at the Marriott - first one at Frenchman's Cove (the timeshare), second at Morningstar. Different experiences at each, but for what you are looking for, I think Morningstar is great. Even on a 5-ship day, it wasn't horribly crowded and you could hear the breakers all night. You would have to pay extra for an oceanfront room, but I think it's worth it.

Virginia
Level Contributor
22 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Beach at Marriott?

Thanks everyone. Is the Morningstar the Hotel and Frenchman time share?

I think we are sold on Marriott St Thomas!

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,026 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Beach at Marriott?

Frenchman's Reef is the resort, the adjacent Morningstar is resort and Frenchman's Cove is timeshare.

NJ
Level Contributor
241 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Beach at Marriott?

There are three Marriott Properties right next to each other (please keep it straight for the taxi drivers and in reviews!):

Marriott Frenchman's Cove - the timeshare built along the hillside. These are 2-3 bedroom apartments with full kitchen, laundry and living room. Beach is tiny, but decent to watch the sunset with a cocktail.

Marriott Frenchman's Reef - the hotel built on the reef and overlooking the harbor. Great views, very nice pool area, but if you want to get to the beach at Morningstar, you need to go down a LOT of stairs or take the scenic elevator, which was out of service when we were there (we like stairs, so not a problem for us). Since they had a sign printed up that said it is out of service while they fix the walkway, I suspect this will be for sometime. This property has a traditional "hotel" feel with bars and restaurants, none that I'd care to eat in.

Marriott Morningstar - these are beach bungalows right on the beach, also has a nice pool area. You can use the facilities at Frenchman's Reef as well. There is a restaurant, Coco Joe's, that has really improved since we first stayed there in 2008. We didn't do dinner there, but breakfast and lunch were quite good. Havana Blue and the Sand Bar are also by Morningstar but managed separately (no room charges).

Feel free to DM me if you want any pictures of the properties or have any other specific questions.

17. Re: Beach at Marriott?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, February 23, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Charlotte Amalie