We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in St. thomas

Minnetrista...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in St. thomas

we are considering traveling to St.thomas. Several people have mentioned to us concerns about safety. Can you please tell me if there are safety concerns. Is it for certain areas to avoid, certain spots to stay away from at night. please comment on general safety during the day or concerns one should have about renting a home.

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in St. thomas

Libby

This question has been asked and answered many times. Use the search function and enter safety and you should see many posts. If after reading them you still have questions ask away.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,615 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in St. thomas

If you use the search engine under "St Thomas" with the words "safety" and/or "crime" you'll find dozens of links to posts on the subject. The bottom line is that common sense prevails and the islands are known for the safety and ease of getting out and about in a rental vehicle to explore - in contrast to some other Caribbean destinations where you stay cooped up out of harm's way in a resort!

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in St. thomas

If you PM me an email address I will send you a copy of our guide to St Thomas. It is exactly the same as the document that we wrote for guests at our condominium except that all references to the condominium have been removed. It covers safety from several aspects that are rarely discussed on this forum such as road safety and venomous wildlife.

Steve

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
West Frankfort...
Level Contributor
587 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in St. thomas

As a first time visitor last summer, I thought the island was quite safe. I did hear warnings not to walk around the dark alleys of charolette amalie in the wee morning hours. But, I wouldn't do that at home lol. To compare, we would barely leave the resort in Mexico, Jamaica, or Dominican Republic. In st Thomas we rented a car and went everywhere. We stayed on the less crowded east end, so we wouldn't have to drive far to dinner. After a day in the sun, dinner and a few drinks and we were ready for bed. I realize as a first time visitor, I'm no expert. But, sometimes first impressions are valuable. I think the most other tips were to lock your rental car and don't leave valuables inside. Also on the beach don't leave valuables unattended.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Charlotte Amalie...
Level Contributor
676 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in St. thomas

Leslie that was a great answer! Glad to hear form a first time visitor. You followed instruction and fared well. I have dozens of guests that do the same. Most that get in trouble are those that are doing something they shouldn't be doing in the first place. Do come back!!

RL

West Frankfort...
Level Contributor
587 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in St. thomas

We have another trip booked for end of June - cant wait to get back! After the fun and adventure we had in st Thomas we are done going to all inclusives in unsafe countries and being stuck at the resort all week, eating the same food over and over.

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Minnetrista...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety in St. thomas

Steve,

Thank you for offering to share your tips. Really appreciate it!

Libby

8. Re: Safety in St. thomas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 08, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Charlotte Amalie