We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Thomas questions

Texas, USA
Level Contributor
43 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
St. Thomas questions

We're returning for a short visit to St. Thomas after a number of years.. . this time on a ship.

What is the status of the tramway and the restaurant/bar that used to be at the top? Read some unflattering reviews. Approximately how much for a taxi from the docks to the top? Are there any particular jewelry stores in Charlotte Amalie that sell good quality larimar? What's your top pick for a casual lunch with a view? Thanks a million. It's been a long time since we've been there. Looking forward to seeing it again.

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Side Street Pub
$$ - $$$, American, Caribbean, Bar
Beuchert's Beer Garden
$, American, Caribbean, Bar
Amalia Cafe
$$ - $$$, Seafood, Mediterranean, European
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,621 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Thomas questions

To answer a couple of your questions, the tramway and the overall property has recently undergone extensive renovations and I believe is scheduled to reopen in the next week or so.

From the WICO dock the taxi fare is the minimum $4 per person; from the Crown Bay port facility $5-$7 per person.

Have fun!

Texas, USA
Level Contributor
43 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Thomas questions

Thank you very much for your response. Glad to hear things are improving at the tramway. More questions: what is the WICO dock? Any guesses on availability of larimar and a top pick for a lunch with a view? The top end of the tramway used to be a great place to kick back. Thanks again for your input.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,621 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Thomas questions

The WICO (West Indian Company Limited) dock is the main port facility located in the Havensight area directly across from the tramway entrance. The other (Crown Bay) port facility is located at the other end of the waterfront.

Can't help you on the larimar but if you use the search engine here (change the search parameter to "by date") I recall a quite recent post where somebody asked a similar question which was answered. I would definitely check out the tramway restaurant for lunch. The Greenhouse on the waterfront is another good choice (no vista type view, though). I get into town as little as possible these days, preferring the peace and quiet of my North side aerie to the hustle and bustle (!) but I'm sure others can make suggestions.

4. Re: St. Thomas questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 15, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Charlotte Amalie