We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info regarding Bookstores in St. Thomas, USVI

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
Info regarding Bookstores in St. Thomas, USVI

Greetings:

I was told that there are two bookstores in St. Thomas: Dockside and Owl or Al?

I can't seem to find the latter and Dockside does not have a website.

I've called but am not getting sound answers other than "feel free to come in and we will help you find..." This is not possible since I'm not on the island (I will be relocating soon)

How is the bookstore's African-American/Carribean selection? Is there a decent multicultural children's book selection?

Do they have a lot of special events, like booksignings, poetry readings...and if so, have you gone to any???

Are there any other places on the island that specializes in Black Literature/authors.

Thanks

Edited: 5:32 pm, September 11, 2012
St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,015 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Info regarding Bookstores in St. Thomas, USVI

Dockside does have author readings/signings, but I wouldn't say a lot. They used to have a book discussion group, too, but not limited to multicultural authors.

They have a section devoted to multicultural either as African-American or Caribbean, and some local books you probably won't find elsewhere. Lots of readers here.

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,015 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Info regarding Bookstores in St. Thomas, USVI

There used to be spoken word events at Frenchtown Deli on Friday nights, but haven't seen an ad lately. Maybe during season?

Cruz Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
471 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Info regarding Bookstores in St. Thomas, USVI

Why not just go to Barnes and Noble ?

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,015 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Info regarding Bookstores in St. Thomas, USVI

Um, the OP will be relocating soon, and there's no Barnes and Noble on any Virgin Island. Dockside Books on St Thomas hosts book oriented events from time to time.

Cruz Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
471 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Info regarding Bookstores in St. Thomas, USVI

Ms411 , I overlooked the part where the OP said she would be relocating soon.

Actually there isn't a Barnes and Noble anywhere in the Caribbean.

I've been using the Dockside Book Store for years.

It has a excellent selection for the size of the store and they will order any book they don't stock.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Info regarding Bookstores in St. Thomas, USVI

Barnes and Noble ship here, as does Amazon - and Dockside Bookstore will also quickly order for you any book which they don't have in stock.

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,015 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Info regarding Bookstores in St. Thomas, USVI

I think the OP is looking for live events at the bookstore - poetry readings, author signings, etc. There are also local/regional books at Dockside that you probably can't get through B&N or Amazon (though I haven't googled to check).

I haven't been to any, but I know they have them frequently, and the notices are usually posted on the door and in the VI Daily News.

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Info regarding Bookstores in St. Thomas, USVI

Dear All:

Thank you for your messages!!!. Yes MS411 hit it on the nail. I am looking for a community bookstore that hosts local events, not necessarily just sell books. Although, I'm glad to hear that they a have a nice local/regional selection.

I will check out Frenchtown Deli, I think I read a post that spoke about bookswapping there; though I can be wrong.

Would you recommend other places on the Isle that hosts multicultural events or will I have to island hop? From what I understand the other VIslands r just a stones throw away...

Blessings.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Info regarding Bookstores in St. Thomas, USVI

St John is a 15 minute ferry ride from the East end of STT, St Croix is a 30-40 minute flight away (40 nautical miles). There are also ferries to the British Virgin Islands.

www.vinow.com/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,015 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Info regarding Bookstores in St. Thomas, USVI

There are so many multicultural events offered by many entities. Many are advertised on radio, newspaper, posters. Drum circles. Drum workshops. Dance classes. Plays. Visiting artists sometimes.

Yes, Frenchtown Deli has a book exchange, but there are others on the island. They are a hurricane survival necessity for many.

Get answers to your questions about Charlotte Amalie