We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Thomas Taxi Service/Charlotte Amalie

Which Charlotte Amalie hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Forestville...
Level Contributor
161 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
St. Thomas Taxi Service/Charlotte Amalie

Can anyone recommend a good reliable (not too expensive) taxi service that accepts credit cards in Charlotte Amalie?

I've checked out this site for approx. costs:

vinow.com/stthomas/…

but it's a little out of date.

Any tips on booking them, contacting them for any questions?

Thanks

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,696 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Thomas Taxi Service/Charlotte Amalie

The taxi rates haven't changed in years, so the rates on that site are current.

For individual trips, the rates are set by the government. If you want to negotiate a daily/weekly rate, the driver you select has the flexibility in determine the price.

How many are in your party?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,481 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Thomas Taxi Service/Charlotte Amalie

To the best of my knowledge no taxi drivers accept credit cards for regular trips but I would imagine that those who offer island tours probably do. As Ms411 notes, the taxi rates you're looking at are current. Maybe if you could explain exactly what you're looking for we could make some suggestions.

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Thomas Taxi Service/Charlotte Amalie

As late as the last time we were on island (approximately three months ago) almost no merchants accepted Discover Card. I believe that this has something to do with Discover Card, and not the island merchants, and I also believe that Discover Card plans to become available in the VI.

Also, before you leave for StT, be sure to notify your card issuer, or when they suddenly notice a lot of charges far from your home may stop "authorizing" your charges As a backup, we carry several cards. This problem is in no way unique to StT.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,684 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Thomas Taxi Service/Charlotte Amalie

Taxi drivers accept cash only

Pia

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,481 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Thomas Taxi Service/Charlotte Amalie

The last response has nothing to with the question asked which was about credit card acceptance by taxi drivers but in order to clear up any confusion, DISCOVER has been accepted here for many years but is not one of those more generally used and accepted. The most widely accepted are VISA and MC. The popularity of AMEX has dwindled as their merchant rate has increased.

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,696 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Thomas Taxi Service/Charlotte Amalie

I think some of the taxi drivers, who offer their services online through their website, accept PayPal. If the OP gives more details about their transportation requirements, I'll do some research to see if I can find if anybody accepts credit cards or PayPal.

Charlotte Amalie...
Level Contributor
676 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Thomas Taxi Service/Charlotte Amalie

I know some of the drivers do accept credit cards. They have the stickers on their window. Kevin does 340-643-0025. He will know others that do.

RL

Forestville...
Level Contributor
161 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Thomas Taxi Service/Charlotte Amalie

Very interesting. Sometimes there will be one and sometimes two. I realize that the rates are per person.

Forestville...
Level Contributor
161 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Thomas Taxi Service/Charlotte Amalie

I've got various destinations on different days around the island that I need to go to and am looking for a reputable taxi company. Thanks for your information. @RonUSVI - Who is Kevin? Is he working for a reputable company or a solo act?

Charlotte Amalie...
Level Contributor
676 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St. Thomas Taxi Service/Charlotte Amalie

He works under ATS association whose group has the water ferries from St John and Tortola concessions.

RL