We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriot's Frenchman's cove day pass for cruise ship passenge

Which Charlotte Amalie hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Topic
Marriot's Frenchman's cove day pass for cruise ship passenge

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a day pass to use the beach and ocean iceberg at Marriot's Frenchman's Cove or is it strictly for guests of the resort?

Also, is this on Magen's Beach and easily accessible via taxi from the port?

thanks

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriot's Frenchman's cove day pass for cruise ship passenge

You don't need a pass to visit any beaches on STT as by law they're all open to the public. You won't of course be allowed to use any beach chairs or anything else reserved for guests only but there are chaise, etc. rentals on Morningstar Beach which is the main beach at the Reef and one which you would find far nicer than the very small beach at the Cove. I don't know what the "ocean iceberg" is so can't help you with that. I also don't know whether or not the Reef or the Cove offers day passes and best you check with them directly.

Magens Bay is on the North side of the island and is about a 15-20 minute drive and $8-10 per person taxi fare from either cruise ship dock. Magens is a MUCH nicer beach than either Morningstar or the Cove's beach and has full facilities.

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriot's Frenchman's cove day pass for cruise ship passenge

Two additions

At some beaches, although you will not be able to use the various chairs free, they may be available for a fee.

Also at some beaches the owner of the land which you will have to walk over to gain access to the beach will make it as convenient as possible so that they can rent you chairs, sell you food and drink and so on, at other beaches the owner will make as inconvenient as possible (within the law) to keep the beach less crowded.

Incidentally, my understanding is that in almost every jurisdiction in the world that has ocean frontage considers the part of the beach ocean-ward of the high water line (or sometimes the mean high water line ) to be public property. I think that international law also addresses this issue.

Steve

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriot's Frenchman's cove day pass for cruise ship passenge

Steve, with all due respect the first sentence alone is plenty of information.

Monroe, Michigan
Level Contributor
182 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriot's Frenchman's cove day pass for cruise ship passenge

Just curious why you want to go to the marriott area specifically?

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,175 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriot's Frenchman's cove day pass for cruise ship passenge

Since the Cove is a Timeshare operation exclusively I am sure if you are willing to sit through the sales pitch a day pass would be no problem - if you arrange it before you even get here I wouldn't be at all surprised if they sent a taxi for you, provided refreshments and have some type of gift bag after the presentation.

NJ
Level Contributor
241 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriot's Frenchman's cove day pass for cruise ship passenge

Marriott's Morningstar offers day passes that permits use of their pool/chairs (as pointed out, beach access is free). Not sure if this includes the Reef and it was something like $75 (I inquired for friends at one point). You can also just go there and rent a cabana but I think it costs about the same as a day pass and the pool area is pretty nice. The Cove does not offer day passes and (also as pointed out) the beach is very small. There is no public access to it - no reason why there would be since the only reason to be in that area would be to go to Frenchman's Cove and there are plenty of other beaches on ST. Thomas that are nicer. I did do the presentation at the Cove and there was no offer to use the facilities as part of the presentation. They also do not allow guests from the Reef or Morningstar to use the facilities at the Cove (although Cove guests do have access to the Reef and Morningstar facilities).

7. Re: Marriot's Frenchman's cove day pass for cruise ship passenge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:41 pm, June 19, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Charlotte Amalie