We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avis, Budget , Dependable or Amalie Car Rental.............

Which Charlotte Amalie hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hicksville, New York
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Avis, Budget , Dependable or Amalie Car Rental.............

I've found the prices to be better for both Budget and Avis but Budget has been getting a lot of bad press on here? What about Avis?............Sure, I'd like to save some money but if the service stinks or i have to wait in line for 2 hours, forget it! Any good advice???

jersey
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Avis, Budget , Dependable or Amalie Car Rental.............

To mike in tulsa, or anyone else for that matter with the info, i was wondering what the procedure is for returning the car to avis on return trip and how much time should i figure in for this. Am going to stt for 1st time on sunday (can't wait!) and returning on a monday if that makes any difference.

Illinois
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Avis, Budget , Dependable or Amalie Car Rental.............

We used Amalie Car Rental in 2011 and loved them. We went with a group and different people rented from other agencies, they were getting older vehicles, hassles with having to go into town to get the cars,etc. We had a fabulous experience with Amalie. They came to the airport with our car. The car was new and impeccable. Then they met us at the airport when we were leaving to get the car from us. It was 5 star service.

I tried to book with them again for our trip in 2012 but they were sold out for the week that we were going, so I waited too long. However, I did tell them to call me if anything opens up. This is how much I trust and prefer them.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,811 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Avis, Budget , Dependable or Amalie Car Rental.............

tropsdreamer

My experience is that it varies quite a bit.. There are times when there is an attendant in the return lot and I just get out of the car and they take over. Other times I have had to go to the desk and in some cases get in line to return the car.

I would suggest that you ask them at the desk when you get the car what proceedure they are now using on returning the car.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Avis, Budget , Dependable or Amalie Car Rental.............

What model of small car ?

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Avis, Budget , Dependable or Amalie Car Rental.............

Also consider DollarThrifty. They are not in the airport, but they are very close. You call them on your cell as soon as you are liberated from the aluminum tube, and about a minute after you are at the curb (we do not check luggage, but we do make a quick stop at the head), they are there to meet you. Because their office is so close to the airport, very little time is lost traveling to their office to exchange the "pick-up car" for the rental car.

We have used Hertz, Avis, Budget, and Dollar/Thrifty many times and never had a real problem with any of them. I suspect that this is a combination of traveling mid-week, and luck.

Geneseo, Illinois
Level Contributor
530 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Avis, Budget , Dependable or Amalie Car Rental.............

We always use Zip Rentals, 340 715 1501. They'll meet you at the airport or hotel, rates are competitive.

17. Re: Avis, Budget , Dependable or Amalie Car Rental.............

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, December 16, 2013