We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Islands close to day trip from Tortola

Mismaloya, Mexico
Level Contributor
146 posts
189 reviews
Save Topic
Islands close to day trip from Tortola

Is there a way to go to St. John for the day from Tortola? I would like this instead of from St. Thomas. We are on a cruise and the excursions from St. Thomas to St. John are really booked up and I would prefer to bypass the ship excursions anyway! Any ideas will be helpful. Thank you in advance, Kathy

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,429 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Islands close to day trip from Tortola

So you're on a cruise and docked at Tortola and want to go to STJ? There is a ferry of course, how long are you docked at Road Town?

It's much easier to go to STJ from STT because it's closer and no customs is required...

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
310 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Islands close to day trip from Tortola

Judging from your other post, I think your ship is docked in STT. Personally if it were me, I'd rent a car on St. Thomas and take the car ferry over to st john, and explore the island that way.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,975 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Islands close to day trip from Tortola

Cruise ships docked in St Thomas don't offer tours to the BVI, and cruise ships docked in Tortola don't offer tours to the USVI. Customs and Immigration check-ins and check-outs are time-consuming and totally impractical for the numbers involved while the distance is also prohibitive,

As said, St John is only a 15 minute ferry ride from St Thomas and, if the cruise ship tours are booked or for whatever reason you want to bypass them, you can quite easily get to St John on your own. If you check the search engine here you'll find many posts on the subject.

For a first time visitor just here for one day I wouldn't advise renting a car. The hassle of picking up the car, getting used to driving a LH drive vehicle ON the left, getting to and on the car barge and then playing with time constraints to get the car back on time really isn't worth it. Just take a taxi to Red Hook and from there the ferries to St John run on the hour every hour while there are plenty of taxis waiting in Cruz Bay to take you where you want to go.

Have fun!

Mismaloya, Mexico
Level Contributor
146 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Islands close to day trip from Tortola

Thank you all for your tips and advice. I really appreciate words of experience!

I believe we dock at 7am and leave at 6pm. STJ from STT it is!

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
310 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Islands close to day trip from Tortola

My wife and I had a car when we were in St. John, so I was just curious, how would you get around the island without renting a car there? Is there public transportation, taxi's, or some other means to get around St. John? One of my favorite places was Trunk Bay, I was just wondering how you would get there via other transportation.

Wanting to know for my next trip there in case I don't want to take the car ferry over.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,975 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Islands close to day trip from Tortola

When you get to Cruz Bay there are taxis galore waiting to pick you up and take you where you want to go. All you have to do is ask although more often than not you'll be asked first and then you'll be guided to the right taxi. If you have a particular destination in mind, someone will take you. A couple of destinations, someone will take you. An island tour with some stops en route, someone will take you. It's very uncomplicated.

Edited: 5:08 pm, October 05, 2011
Mismaloya, Mexico
Level Contributor
146 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Islands close to day trip from Tortola

Hi,

If I could go to St. John from Tortola, I could miss the cruise crowd tours heading to St. John when we dock at St. Thomas.

Also, go to Jost Van Dyke from St. Thomas, again missing the cruise crowd tours to Jost when we dock at Tortola.

It does not sound as if it would work out though! I am a tourist that does not care for crowds! Guess I have to learn to fit in better!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you, Kathy

Boston
Level Contributor
6,580 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Islands close to day trip from Tortola

Well, if you are a tourist who does not like crowds, what are you doing on a cruise ship??? That sounds a bit contradictory to me.....just saying.

Mismaloya, Mexico
Level Contributor
146 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Islands close to day trip from Tortola

Obviously! I was just joking.

We have cruises over 12 times, so I know there are crowds

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,429 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Islands close to day trip from Tortola

Kathy would that be 13 times then?

lol

But seriously cruise ships are akin to large resorts so the main areas like the sun deck and pools can be crowded. But you can also enjoy quiet areas and of course your own balcony whenever you like - so it's not as contradictory as it seems. Actually it's a good alternative to staying in one place for a change of pace.

Edited: 3:22 pm, October 07, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Charlotte Amalie