We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cannot book at hotel 1829. Now what?

Which Charlotte Amalie hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Harrisburg...
14 posts
Save Topic
Cannot book at hotel 1829. Now what?

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Hotel 1829 in Charlotte Amalie told me that they will not have their rates out until July and I am unable to book my September trip until then. Talk about waiting until the last minute.

US
Level Contributor
322 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cannot book at hotel 1829. Now what?

Maybe they're going condo.

Pinkcat

Ontario
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cannot book at hotel 1829. Now what?

We stayed at Hotel 1829 for one night, April 29th 2005. We tried to make a reservation for one night, April 30th, 2006. I called them in September to make the reservation and was told that they didn't have rates yet for 2006 - send an email. After another email and two or three phone calls, I was told that they couldn't take a reservation for only one night during high season - basically the same night they had no problem with last year. I asked when high season ended and they said April 30th. I made a reservation with Secret Harbour. Needless to say I was very disappointed. I wonder what is going on with them?

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cannot book at hotel 1829. Now what?

Sounds a little to me like they don't know on which side to butter their bread. I say skip them, follow up with more research,narrow down your choices, then post again.

Sorry, but they are not the be all end all, obviously. Start at square one. People who frequent this forum are very helpful when given the chance.

Hamilton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
411 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cannot book at hotel 1829. Now what?

Unless you get some hard facts, I suggest staying away from 1829. We had lunch at the restaurant next door last May and asked about 1829 because it looked closed. We previously stayed there and had a great dinner there, so we were very curious. We were told that they closed the restaurant and were unsure about what they were doing with the hotel (the hotel was still open, but barely). It sounds to me, things may still be touch and go with them. I'd hate to book with them and then have them close. You should be able to book atleast six months ahead and if you can't, that has to tell you something. Good Luck

Harrisburg...
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cannot book at hotel 1829. Now what?

Thanks for the info! I would be soooo bummed if I waited until July to book Hotel 1829 and was told that they were closing or something crazy.

Back to square one...just want a simple room- without paying $200/night! Not like we are going to spend much time in it anyhow- plenty of time for that on the cruise/honeymoon!! :-)

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cannot book at hotel 1829. Now what?

There is a hotel we stay in before and after flights when we can't get to or from STJ due to the flight times...It's named Best Western Emerald Beach Resort. It is nothing special, but it is very economical and a pretty good value. All rooms are beachfront with a balcony. Nice beach, good beach bar. Older property, but clean and freshly painted. If you don't want to pay 200 per night, it may be a good deal for you. Its down side is that it is near the airport, BUT there are no flights in the middle of the night and not all that many during the day. Just a thought....

ithaca, ny
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cannot book at hotel 1829. Now what?

i've stayed at emerald beach resort a few times now and really like it!! The beach is the nicest on the island w/no crowds at all. CHeck out the island beachcomber hotel next to it...actually more inexpensive than emerald bay, around $130 a night. It's been renovated and is actually pretty decent. I met one of the owners on my last stay and got a tour of the place...check it out.

Get answers to your questions about Charlotte Amalie