We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking from Frenchman's Reef?

Which Charlotte Amalie hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
wleasure
Level Contributor
54 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Walking from Frenchman's Reef?

Is it possible to walk/urban hike from the Marriott into town or any local bars, shops? I am fairly good shape, just wondering if there are sidewalks, what the mileage might be.

Thanks.

Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking from Frenchman's Reef?

I guess anything is possible, but realistically it isn't a great option. The roads are very narrow on St. Thomas and there are absolutely no shoulders in some places. Walking along one of these roads in the day would be treacherous and at night quite dangerous. I would be prepared to rent a car or use the taxis.

NJ
Level Contributor
241 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking from Frenchman's Reef?

It's not the distance as much as the very hilly terrain and the fact that there are no sidewalks. Add to that cars whizzing around sharp turns and I'd think twice about it (in fact I did, since I like to walk places). You could walk to the bar at Havana Blue (nice bar), which is near the Morningstar property. We always walk between the three Marriott properties (we own at Frenchman's Cove), but even though Havensight looks really close on the map, I'd drive there. If you want to get a "picture" view of what it looks like go to maps.google.com and search for "St. Thomas, USVI", then click on "Marriott Frenchman's Reef" keep zooming in (Sattelite view) and you can trace the road to Havensight. Not hiking friendly, but you can get a decent workout on those stairs between Frenchman's Reef and Morningstar :)

.sioda.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking from Frenchman's Reef?

During the day you can take the Reef's boat, the Reefer which will drop you off in the middle of downtown.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,178 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking from Frenchman's Reef?

Possible -- only in the daylight for sure -- there are no sidewalks between the Reef and Havensite but from there to town is a pleasant flat {HOT} walk - on sidewalks along the water.

The hills are steep and the traffic is close to you so you have to be aware at all times and not be reluctant to step back off the roadway at times. It would have to be purely for exercise or adventure but it is doable if you stay alert.

Level Contributor
45 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking from Frenchman's Reef?

I would not do it. We stay regulary as time share owners at the Frenchman's Cove and the roads are hilly and there really aren't any side walks from the Marriott down to the foot of the hills into town and shopping.

You might want to take the Marriott Ferry Boat over into Charlotte Amalie

where you can walk around, a taxi (taxi's are pricey in my opinion), or better yet go ahead and rent a car, in my opinion is the best option. Driving

on the left during the day is really not that difficult. Be carefull driving

at night unless you know the roads.

6. Re: Walking from Frenchman's Reef?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 10, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Charlotte Amalie