We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car ferry to STJ or gets transportation there?

Atascadero...
Level Contributor
28 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Car ferry to STJ or gets transportation there?

I'm renting from Dependable on STT, and they don't mind if I take the car ferry over to STJ. But I don't know if I want to chance a wait or not. I was thinking of going to Leinster Bay and Waterlemon Cay. Is that a good choice, and how would I get there if I didn't rental a car on St. John? Is there a way to go to at least two beaches on STJ without a rental car? Thank you everyone for your responsed to all my questions?

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car ferry to STJ or gets transportation there?

.......having a car on st.john is the way to go........that way you can go to any/many beaches w/o being ripped off on the ridiculous taxi rates........you'd pay just as much for the taxi to the waterlemon trailhead as you'd pay to ferry a car over from stt..........its a hassle to ferry the car so if you rent on st.john it would be easier.

Mobile, AL
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car ferry to STJ or gets transportation there?

Hey Johnny-

I see you took my advice and are checking out all the web sites. I would take my car on the car ferry. We have not had any trouble getting on and off. Just make sure you arrive early. Plan the day in St. John and see as much as possible. Yes you really want to go to Waterlemon. It is great for snorkeling. You also want to try out Shipwreck Tavern for lunch and see all the incredible views. Ride the island from one end to the other.

Melanie

Syosset, New York
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car ferry to STJ or gets transportation there?

HI! it depends on wht car you get b/c both of those beaches you need to like go over a type of overpass thingy and drive on the beach and my uncle did tht 1 year and he got stuck in the sand and popped a tire from some sea glass and shells so if u get some sort of a jeep you'll b fine but you can get to neother beach on the island by walking you can get a taxi to prolly to take you there...another way to get the waterlemon cay is by renting a boat..i hope i helped!!

Helen

Dallas
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car ferry to STJ or gets transportation there?

It just depends on what you're going to do there.

If you're planning on spending the day and exploring the whole island, take the car ferry.

If you're just going to go over and go directly to one of the beaches for a few hours, then the passenger ferry and renting a taxi (pretty expensive on STJ) is the way to go.

We did both and while getting on and off the car ferry can be a little bit of a beating (there's no system so don't try to figure it out), it's not that bad and if the choice is that or paying several cab fares for various stops, definately take the car ferry.

But I wouldn't rent a car over there. I think it's better to take the car ferry.

Clear as mud?

Hampton Roads, VA
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car ferry to STJ or gets transportation there?

Take the car ferry, $35 round trip. You can check out several beaches in a day. There are a couple of different car ferries, I recommend "The General". The other one only makes a couple of trips per day and you may end up waiting in Cruz Bay a couple of hours for your ferry.

Leinster and Waterlemon are nice. We saw some 6-7 ft. sharks there and a sea turtle in June. It is about a 20 min. hike each way which leaves time to visit other beaches if you want. Maho and Cinnamon are also very nice.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car ferry to STJ or gets transportation there?

......the car ferry's rates have gone up to 48.oo..........buy a one way so you don't have to wait for a specific ferry to return.

Get answers to your questions about Charlotte Amalie