We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking Upscale Kid-friendly Activity--where for family ?

Which Charlotte Amalie hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
409 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking Upscale Kid-friendly Activity--where for family ?

Looking for a more upscale--such as a true 4 and a half quality resort/accomodations (atleast high 4) for mom and dad traveling with two daughters,age 6 and 15.Mom,Dad and teen prefer more upscale luxury and we all like lots of activity such as great pools,a kids'club for our little one to play with others if desired a couple,some on-site or nearby pm entertainment and decent-good food choices (nothing fancy but just tasty/kid-friendly and a variety).Will just be thrilled if the food is generally good--don't need gourmet and there is some variety and I get waited on for a change! HAA HAA.) We do like some luxury so our vacation feels special.Concerned about the musty rooms,lack of good view rooms etc. that I have read about at the Marriott Frenchman Reef/Cove.Read that the more expensive on next door is a timeshare and the other is the resort?? How is the beach/water there? Must have nice beach and tranquil clear water---enjoy snorkeling and easy swimming and would rent a shared sailboat with others if available etc.Unsure if the area of this resort is enhanced by the cruiseport scene or is it a less-relaving,noisy experience.We like large active resort and don't mind busy (being from suburbs ouside of NYC) but don't want to hear next-door or nearby construction noise,have obstructed views,excessive mold/must or feel totally crowded.Like some peace on the beach--so to speak with some activities there and an active resort feel.

I know that what I am describing may not be easy to combine but am trying to find the best fit.Unsure of the beaches here and resort ammenities and quality level.Read many mixed reviews here and on a few other Carrib.islands such as St.Martin/Marteen.Negril does not meet some of these preference although gorgeous beach;hard to find a larger active family luxury option on great beach in St.M----atleast from what i have uncovered so far.In short finally,unsure if St.T fits our picture.Open to any suggestions there or on another island.Have already been to Mayan riv,cancun,aruba and grand cay and wish to try a new locale.Spend a large amount of time on sight with a bit of venturing out into nearby town and a fun water-related excursion or two---need to keep it easier w/ 6 year old and desire non-stop flight from nyc. Strongly prefer an all-inclusive to keep costs down particularly with two kids.Thanks for any help---traveling in summer'08.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,230 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking Upscale Kid-friendly Activity--where for family ?

All-inclusive is not a big thing in the islands because of the diversity of restaurants and ease of getting around outside the confines of a resort. You may not find exactly what you're looking for here in terms of luxury/pampering but you might look into the Ritz Carlton on St Thomas and Caneel Bay on St John as possibilities. I do think you'll find the beaches here - particularly those on St John - will surpass any you've seen thus far, while the sailing and snorkelling are excellent. Hope this helps for a start. Cheers!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking Upscale Kid-friendly Activity--where for family ?

It sounds like we like, and are looking for, the same things. I would try Providenciales, Turks and Caicos. BEATIFUL beach. The only all-inclusive to my knowledge is Beaches, which gets quite pricey but is beautiful, has a kid's club with teen activities and nice excursions. It's a beautiful, clean, safe island. If you're OK with a condo, there are lots of new condos in Provo, so you may find something in a larger/more active condo complex there instead of Beaches.

We've been there, so I want to try the virgin islands, both US and British, but the "resort" feel looks like it will be harder to find.

Good luck.

Level Contributor
409 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking Upscale Kid-friendly Activity--where for family ?

Thanks everyone;will further research Turks and Caicos/Prov.but don't want to drop that kind of cash on the Beaches option.Love the photos and comments I read about St.John,particularly Caneel Bay but unsure that it will be within our affordability range.I know that combining luxury (somewhat nicer accomodations and great pool scene for kids---don't need gourmet,white glove service or spas )with family activity,ease of getting around and great beach/calm waters is not easy to do and still keep it somewhat cost-effective.Is St.John easy/affordable to reach and are there any a/i options?----probably not much a/i.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,247 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking Upscale Kid-friendly Activity--where for family ?

Can't be done.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,230 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking Upscale Kid-friendly Activity--where for family ?

St John is a very short ferry ride away from St Thomas but there ae no AI hotels there. In fact the only resort hotel other than Caneel is the Westin.

On St Thomas you could check Wyndham Sugar Bay which does some sort of an AI. Your best bet would be to rent a villa or a condo and get your own breakfast, rent a car and explore the huge variety of beaches, restaurants, sailing activities, etc. on the island(s) Basically, there are literally hundreds of posts on this forum (check the generalized "Virgin Islands" forum rather than the 'Charlotte Amalie" forum you're posting on) to get a better idea of what's available in the USVI and what staying here is all about. What you think is important on your vacation may not necessarily be so once you really start looking for information. Cheers!

Level Contributor
409 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking Upscale Kid-friendly Activity--where for family ?

Thanks STThomasres---appreciate your help!

virginia
Level Contributor
326 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeking Upscale Kid-friendly Activity--where for family ?

what you asking for really doesn't exist... you want upscale and AI but you don't even want to pay for a Beaches resort.

So that probably puts ALL you upscale resorts out...The Ritz, Caneel, The Westin.

Sounds like you want Champagne on a merlot budget.

Maybe a cruise is more for you. AI and you can visit different Island and they have kids club.

The Virgins aren't "stay on the compound" type of Islands. To get the most out of your vacation, rent a car and visit other beaches and both St John and St thomas.

We stayed on St Thomas but really prefered the feel and Beaches of St John...so this next trip it's a villa on st thomas for us!

I can recommend Secret Harbour for condos that are very clean and have a nice beach with snorkling and a resturant/bAr on site. We took our 3 kids (12,9, 6) and they had a fantastic time snorkling etc... we do not use kids clubs etc... and they do not have one.

Also Saphaire Beach condos come highly recommended (very nice beach)

Crystal cove is another one that people seem to really like for condos.

But they are condos and indivually owned so decor etc...can be dated and it is the tropics so saltwater does corrode things so what may be considered 4 star on the Islands WILL not equal 4 star in NYC. (so I almost hate to suggest these to you as I don't think they will meet your "upscale" needs)

Good luck.

United States
Level Contributor
92 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeking Upscale Kid-friendly Activity--where for family ?

Totally agree with reeneva...What your looking for requires a larger budget. USVI is pricier than a Beaches...at the level of lux you are looking for...Secret Harbour is wonderful. But it's about a three star at the most, nothing fancy, but to me the best place on STT. Love Sapphire also. Stayed there and it was great...three star also. I am lux at heart, but love the more down to earth places best. Stayed on STJ a number of times, Westin, Galley Bay and a private villa rental last year. None of those is budget or even mid range...Sounds like you'd like a Ritz or Morning Star Beach Resort on STT, but those cost what a Beaches in Turks would cost without the food. Sounds like the Mayan Riveria is a better match pricewise for you...or scale back the lux requirements and go for some of the mid range three stars that have five star locations. I also wouldn't lock myself into an all inclusive in the USVI...too many good places to eat!!!!

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seeking Upscale Kid-friendly Activity--where for family ?

You may want to look at The Buccaneer on St. Croix.

http://www.thebuccaneer.com/

It is not quite deluxe with pampering, etc. but it is nice with great staff and a great kids program that is included in the price. No direct from New York, yet, but you can connect easy through either San Juan or St. Thomas. They have family suites that may fall within your budget and the grounds are large enough to spend a lot of time there. We have active kids and the place works well for us. The breakfast buffet is usually included in the room rate and with a small fridge in the room, lunch can be raken care of with a trip to the store.

10. Re: Seeking Upscale Kid-friendly Activity--where for family ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, September 25, 2009