We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferry to st. john from red hook or charlotte amalie

Worcester...
Level Contributor
167 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
ferry to st. john from red hook or charlotte amalie

I am coming in a cruise ship for one day and want to go to st. john. Is it better to take a taxi red hook and ferry from there or take the ferry right from charlotte amalie? By "better" I mean in terms of price and transport time. Thanks

St. Louis
Level Contributor
195 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ferry to st. john from red hook or charlotte amalie

This web site:

www.vinow.com/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/

should answer you ferry question. Remember that you would need to hire a taxi out to Red Hook if leaving from there. The drive isn't that fantastic, but nice (you're driving on the LEFT you know..) I recall there being a "Hydroplane" out of Charlotte Amalie but can't find any info on it now. I know it's about a 30 min. ride out to Red Hook but, if there are a lot of cruise ships in port on the day you're there, traffic in and out of town can be horrible!!

Bettendorf, Iowa
Level Contributor
510 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ferry to st. john from red hook or charlotte amalie

I'm not usually an advocate of purchasing the over-priced excursions from the cruise line, but in this case, I would recommend it. Yes, you can do it all yourself, but if there are any delays, breakdowns, etc., you could miss your ship's departure. On the other hand, if you buy thru the cruise line and there's a delay, they'll hold the ship for you. All of this really depends on the amount of time your ship is spending in Charlotte Amalie. If you're on the typical 8-5 schedule and you get going really early, you could probably do it. If it were me, I'd buy from the ship and find someplace else to cut back the budget if that were necessary.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ferry to st. john from red hook or charlotte amalie

There are pros and cons to each. If you go from Red Hook, the taxi will take 15-20 minutes if there is no traffic, but the ferry is inexpensive, takes only 15 minutes to get to St. John, and runs every hour until 11pm and is almost always on time. If you go from Charlotte Amalie, you can walk to the ferry from the boat, the ferry ride will take about 30 minutes, will cost more, and is not nearly as dependable in its schedule -- fewer runs and may not be on time.

The third option -- taking the ship excursion -- is the safest. As another poster has said, the ship will wait for you if you are on one of its sponsored excursions. Otherwise, if you miss the boat...well, you miss the boat.

That being said, if you go on your own, allow plenty of time getting back. If you have to be back at the boat by 4...you might need to start heading back by 2 to be on the safe side. On the ship's excursion you would not have to worry about any of this. Sometimes it's just easier to pay for the excursion, check out the place, and next time pass up the cruise and come visit the island for a week!

4. Re: ferry to st. john from red hook or charlotte amalie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:22 pm, August 26, 2009