We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dohm's water taxi vs. Dolphin water taxi vs Ferries

USA
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Dohm's water taxi vs. Dolphin water taxi vs Ferries

Traveling from St. Thomas to Tortola in late June. Can anyone comment on best mode of transportation? Some of us will be taking ferry since it is much less expensive but part of group wants to take water taxi.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dohm's water taxi vs. Dolphin water taxi vs Ferries

Bottom line generally is you get what you pay for. The folks taking the ferry will need to follow a more rigid schedule and won't be able to enjoy an adult beverage on the ride but their wallets will be lighter. I recently used a ferry for a group but we had a ton of gear and some paddle boards and the ferry delivered us directly to alongside the boat we had chartered so it was well worth the added $. Same was true for the return. But if I was just heading up for some sightseeing or with a single suitcase I wouldn't hesitate to take the ferry.

USA
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dohm's water taxi vs. Dolphin water taxi vs Ferries

Thank you for replying. Which Water taxi do you prefer?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dohm's water taxi vs. Dolphin water taxi vs Ferries

We always use Dolphin. Beer on the boat, taxi pickup from the airport. No worries!

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dohm's water taxi vs. Dolphin water taxi vs Ferries

No favorite - my preferred departure point, the rate and parking will all factor into the formula = my favorite du jour.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dohm's water taxi vs. Dolphin water taxi vs Ferries

We've used Dohm's a number of times. Excellent service. It's not cheap, but it's quick and easy to get through Customs in BVI as the captain does it for you and you don't even get off the boat.

6. Re: Dohm's water taxi vs. Dolphin water taxi vs Ferries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 02, 2015