We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much did you spend on cabs for 2?

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
260 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
How much did you spend on cabs for 2?

First time to the islands

Thinking about not renting a car and just taking a can to places it will just be me and my husband

Well probably take a cab from airport to grocery store to sapphire village

And just cab it to dinners , red hook, from St.john to trunk bay

How much do you usually spend on cabs there?

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,742 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much did you spend on cabs for 2?

Minimum charge is $5pp each way. Charge from airport to Red Hook ferry is $15pp + $2.50/bag without stopping for groceries. Sapphire is a little further. It you want to stop for groceries, you need to make arrangements for a private taxi before your trip. The taxis on STT are large (11 passenger) vans that they will try to fill before leaving the airport. You may have several stops along the way to drop other passengers.

Call Rachel 340-771-2986 or Bazile 340-117-5759 Both are highly recommended. They will be happy to take you to the grocery store and wait while you shop. Call for rates. Reserve as soon as you know your dates, they book up quickly.

Taxi from ferry dock in Cruz Bay to Trunk is $6pp each way

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,037 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much did you spend on cabs for 2?

Here are the taxi rates:

vinow.com/stthomas/…

You'll see that the posted rate from the airport to Red Hook is $11 per person for 2+ people and $15 for one person. Posters have been saying for a while now that the taxis are charging $15 pp regardless of the number in the party but there have been no changes in the taxi rates (which are set by the government) to support that ...

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,742 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much did you spend on cabs for 2?

STTresident - I know that the taxi rates are supposed to be set by the govenment, BUT why do some drivers charge extra for bags and others don't? I'm OK with paying $15pp including my bag and tip.

West Frankfort...
Level Contributor
555 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much did you spend on cabs for 2?

We actually only rented a car for part of our stay. We were staying at sapphire and it was the first time to the island. We were glad we took a taxi because we would never have gotten there the first time on our own - lol. This was in July 2012. I believe they charged us $11 per person plus bag fee. Our condo rental came with initial stocking to make up for no longer picking up at the airport as stated in rental. So, we had beer, and water and a bit of food to get us started. We took taxi to red hook for dinner at $4-$5 per person (each way of course). We never waited on a taxi, there was always one waiting at sapphire near the lobby, and red hook also had an abundance waiting for people after dinner. Early in our trip we took a day sail with new horizons which left out of sapphire marina, so no car needed that day. We went to red hook most nights for dinner. We reserved a car from budget at sapphire for the last 3 or 4 days of our trip. I heard the budget desk is now closed though. We were glad we took taxis for a few days to see where things were before we attempted to drive ourselves. As soon as we got our car, we went to food center past red hook to stock up and beverages and food. We had a lot of fun exploring the island. We went to Magen's bay, mountain top and to paradise point. We did take the car on the car barge to St. John one day. I have to say, we wish we had just taken the people ferry over and took taxi to trunk. Cruz bay was so crowded we liked to never found a place to park. We were unsuccessful in finding a parking spot at trunk after 20 minutes or so, we gave up and went to another beach. Next trip I am taking a taxi and getting myself to trunk. We went to St. John a couple times on the people ferry and enjoyed walking around Cruz bay - lots of restaurants and bars - cool vibe. We returned our car to the airport location and it was super easy. We had no problems although I know budget gets a lot of complaints.

Whoops back to price. I think we paid around $50 per day for car rental. We got a jeep. It is easy to reserve online at budget, you don't even have to give a credit card. We went in July which is low season, so I may want a more secure reservation in high season. On the days we stayed at sapphire, or went on day sail it was more cost efficient to just take taxi. Since we only went to red hook for dinner - for 2 people it would be $10 there and $10 back, plus a couple bucks tip. But, on the days we had the car, and went to other beaches during the day, to the store and then to dinner, it would have really added up. ($40 roundtrip to beach, $20 roundtrip to store ...maybe more if they had to wait on you, $20 roundtrip to dinner at redhook which is only a mile down the road, or $40 if dinning elsewhere)

We are returning July 2014. I think we will get a rental for the whole trip. Since we know where we are going now, it's more convenient to be able to go when you want. We will however not take our car to St. John this time - lol.

Oh, and I see you are staying at sapphire village. We walked up there to check out the restaurant. It was closed at the time when we went, but the pool looked nice and not too far of a walk. I bet the views are great there since it is on a hill. It's really convenient to have a marina onsite for day sails or fishing trips. My husband loves fishing, but didn't really want to go by himself, but he did buy some fresh mahi from the fishermen when they returned and we cooked it in the condo and it was fabulous!

5. Re: How much did you spend on cabs for 2?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 13, 2015