We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sapphire closings?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,984 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Sapphire closings?

Through another "forum" I heard that the dive shop/rentals, lobby with little shops and cruise passengers are being stopped. I thought this was the high season and I'm just wondering what's going on. Any information out there?

USA
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sapphire closings?

Hope it is just a bad rumor. Not sure Sapphire can afford to lose those amenities. Love that beach though.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,984 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sapphire closings?

Barnacle, I received this information from someone who sells their things in the lobby.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,699 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sapphire closings?

Right now there is a lot of uncertainty, but it is a fact not rumor.

As of Sunday the dive shop (Dive-In), the Budget office, the concierge, and any others are gone.

There are steps taking place to provide the resort guests with chaises, but nothing has been determined at this point. Guests booking a condo that uses Exclusive Resorts as the rental agent will still get beach towels and snorkeling equipment in their office.

If you are on a cruise ship I would not recommend going to Sapphire right now. There will be no floats, kayaks, wind sufferers, chaises, snorkeling equipment, or sun fish. More importantly there may well be no restrooms.

Some may ask why this has happened? Let me just say that it is insanity, and say no more.

Level Contributor
100 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sapphire closings?

This is sad :( - We have been going to Sapphire for the last twenty years and were hoping things were getting better - Will be there next week - hope it won't be our last time!

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,026 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sapphire closings?

Of course nobody can stop cruise ship passengers or island visitors (or non-Sapphire residents) from enjoying the beach as all VI beaches are by law open to the public. You'll just have to bring your own supplies as you have to do at many other beaches - but of course the cruise ship population will very quickly dwindle ...

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sapphire closings?

...which may be a boost for the ecosystem!.

Steve

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sapphire closings?

BTW, not all VI beaches are "open to the public." Only public beaches and private beaches with "major development."

Steve

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,527 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sapphire closings?

...which may be a boost for the ecosystem!.

Steve

Yes!

wv
Level Contributor
548 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sapphire closings?

Oh NO! we are staying at Sapphire Jan 16-21 and are suppose to get our chairs and snorkel stuff from that dive shop I think! its included in our rental price. we I will be thoroughly pissed if we can't even get lounge chairs :( why would this be happening? its not like people have stopped coming to sapphire and its drying up. Geez

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,984 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sapphire closings?

SUV, check with who you are renting from, they may have beach chairs in the condo itself. Be prepared and bring your own snorkel gear.

This is really sad. I won't miss the cruisers, but I will miss the dive shop.