We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay with no car on the island

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay with no car on the island

Hi! I am wondering where to stay on St. Thomas where I wont need a car and someplace romantic, maybe on the beach/water. Looking to spend around $2000 for a week. Thanks!

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Where to stay with no car on the island

N737AA,

I guess, then, you were the contributor that I referred to.

Tom walked it yesterday, and reported that he never climbed a hill "of any size."

Next time you are at Sapphire, why don't you take the walk?

Steve

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,707 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Where to stay with no car on the island

Steve, I think it would be extremely helpful and of great interest to locals and visitors alike if you would create a detailed schematic of the exact gradients, elevation and distance from the whole swath of Sapphire Beach up to the main road both on foot and by car. You might also include the timing of both with the ambulatory option including allowances for pace (slow/fast walk, jog, run) and calories respectively burned; and graphs illustrating approximate fuel consumption of various vehicles commonly driven here and the gears to be used both up and down. This could be a valuable tool for particularly visitors trying to choose between the many condo options available.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,297 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Where to stay with no car on the island

Sweetlordamighty SS - it is what it is. All Sapphire properties begin at sea level. Sapphire Beach/House and West are on pretty flat land - nobody has ever claimed otherwise. There is an elevation rise to the road but to get anywhere from there you will be travelling uphill. The other Sapphire property, Sapphire Village starts at sea level and has buildings at different levels up a hill; the same hill one needs to cross if going to Red Hook which is about the only place a walker ever walks to. Crystal Cove/S.W. and Sapphire House have an exit road closet to sea level while Sapphire Beach and Village share a single exit at a higher elevation. By foot anyone can use the lower exit if they so desire but it still doesn't give you an advantage if you want to go anyplace.

The subject is about being on island without a car, it can be done, there are dollar taxis if you have the patience to wait for them and the added time to travel miles out of your way to return to your destination. When I am visiting without a car I stay at Sapphire and will walk to Red Hook carefully in daylight hours only. It is a shorter walk from the east side of Sapphire than the west and the hill we cross is the same size for all.

Edited: 8:56 am, September 16, 2013
Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Where to stay with no car on the island

Tom,

Al that you say is true.

Starting with post number six ("For a lot of people that walk up the hill could be a killer."), (which was possibly inspired by post number five) however, the discussion turned to walking to the road where you can hail a dollah bus.

If you are staying on the West end of Sapphire, it's a pretty level walk with a slight incline between the new SBCW gate and the road.*

If you are staying on the East side of Sapphire, you have a choice. You can ascend the closest hill and to a relatively high part of the hill (a route referred to in post six as "a possible killer", or you can walk to the West end of Sapphire, and then to the road, hailing the bus at the bottom of the hill--as you reported doing in post sixteen.

My only point is that either way, if you are staying on the West end of Sapphire, you will have either a shorter, or less inclined walk to where you can hail the bus, than if you are starting on the East end of Sapphire.

* I am not really sure if the small piece of property between the SBCW gate and the road is actually part of SBCW. I question this, only because it is a common driveway serving three properties.

BTW, I know that this a very insignificant point, but the properties start at the "mean high water line", which is a bit above sea level. I believe that this is by international law.

Steve

The discussion, however, turned to the matter of walking from where you are staying to where you can hail the dollah bus.

25. Re: Where to stay with no car on the island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 18, 2014