We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery List

Illinois
Level Contributor
47 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Grocery List

Hello!

We're getting ready to go (can't wait, can't wait)! We are renting a condo at Sapphire Beach, and I was wondering if anyone has a handy dandy shopping list they use that I could steal.

If not are there any "gotchas" that someone might not think of?

Also, I'm planning to buy some dry goods (coffee, filters, spices, paper towels/napkins) & condiments to travel down with them & save a little dough. Is that pretty normal?

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery List

What you are bringing is what I recommend but many units have paper towels, and napkins there are pretty close to the same price as at home.

An awful lot depends on whom you are renting from and who the local agent is. I have helped some guests that find next to nothing in the units when I have been down there. Check with the owner or rental agent.

As far as bringing things there are some items that for reasons unknown cost a lot more down there, Bacon is one. We usually bring our meat from home as it is cheaper but really because the quality at home is better. I will say the meat at Food Center has really improved and if on sale the sale prices are pretty good.

You might also want to bring a small flashlight as power outages do happen on occasion.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery List

One more thing. If you plan to do a load or two of laundry (Sapphire has washers and dryers) bring enough laudry detergent and cling so you don't need to but it there.

Illinois
Level Contributor
47 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery List

Awesome - thanks! I forgot to add detergent - I'll get little sample sizes. I know I will want to wash our beach towels at least once while down there.

How do you travel with meat? Do you carry on or check it?

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery List

I would start by contacting whomever you rented the condo from and inquire as to what is supplied.

My pet peeve when VRBOing is to not find coffee filters. This forces me to purchase a package of at least a hundred when I need perhaps a dozen. Naturally the other eighty eight never fit my coffee pot at home.

I finally "wised-up" and put the other eighty-eight in my Rola-Board ,(along with a coffee measure) and started a collection which always goes with me, so I always have the required filters.

Steve

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,676 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery List

I always take a kitchen size trash bag for each day. We empty the trash everyday so we don't get ants or any other bugs (but don't be surprised to see a few anyway). Crystal Light & Gatorade mix. A dishwasher pack for each day. Multiple Ziplock bags. Keep all opened snacks in them. Keep bread, bagels, etc in the refrig otherwise they will mold quickly.

As for taking meat; I vaccuum pack everything and freeze several days (or weeks) ahead of our trip. I have a rolling, softsided cooler that I carry-on, which I pack just before walking out the door for the airport. Make sure it is packed tight, filling any empty space with newspaper or clothes. I do not use ice or cold packs. Everything is still frozen solid 8-10 hours later.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery List

We have both checked and taken meat as a caryon either works but if you have to pay for an additional checked bag you will not save any money

We don't vacuum pack but just put in zip lock bags and be sure it is well frozen. We bring steak, chicken, pork, shrimp, turkey breast, and lamb chops Basically anything you want

Just so you know most units at Sapphire do not have dish washers. So check before you pack the tabs

Again a FYI the clothes washing traier is near the marina and you need to buy tokens in the marina office.

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery List

Of course many of the units at the "original Sapphire" have both washers and dryers as well as dishwashers within the units.

Steve

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Grocery List

We usually pack things we like that we can't always get elsewhere e.g. favorite pop-tarts & peanut butter brands/flavors, also decaf tea bags...

9. Re: Grocery List

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 07, 2014