We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in Char. Amalie?

Massillon, Ohio
Level Contributor
118 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Parking in Char. Amalie?

Working on my plans for vacation to this beautiful island and have a question about parking. We are staying in the East End and want to do some shopping downtown - hey we are girls after all - and wanted to know if there is ample parking or should we just take a taxi and enjoy the day shopping, eating and drinking up the town. Also, what is the going rate for parking? Thanks for all your help. 43 more days, but whose counting??

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,358 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking in Char. Amalie?

My advice is to take a taxi - eat, drink, shop, sightsee and enjoy! There is one large parking lot on the waterfront but it does get full on a regular business day and otherwise you end up chasing around the narrow streets looking for a spot. Not really worth it in my opinion. Everything in town is in a short radius. Have fun!

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking in Char. Amalie?

I must disagree (somewhat) with STTResident. We have been visiting St. Thomas for over fifty years, have always stayed on the East End, and always driven to and from Charlotte Amalie. In the far past we would park on the street, and it did take some time to find a free parking spot. We usually ended up on the Western end of CA, on, or very close to, Waterfront Drive.

More recently we have been routinely parking in the lot to which STTResident refers (the "Fort Christian Parking Lot"). Although it usually is full when we enter, after just two or three minutes of "cruising" someone leaves and we get a spot. It usually costs us two or three dollars.

Another possibility, which was recently reported on this forum, is Kongens Gada at the bottom of the street that houses the governor's office. The poster stated that there was a "decent chance" of finding a ( free) spot in that area.

Steve

3. Re: Parking in Char. Amalie?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 06, 2014