We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dependable vs big car rentals

nyc
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Topic
dependable vs big car rentals

Hello, we just booked a 2 weeks trip over the holidays. I figured I should book a car rental this far out since it does get busy for the holidays. We did get a quote from Dependable for $1000 for 2 weeks for car allowed to St. John. I also looked on expedia for rates that are around $700 and all cars mention not allowed to St. John, has any one booked through a site and been able to bring the car over to St. John? Is it worth saving the extra $300 to rent from one of the bigger places (St. John or not allowed). I hope to reserve sooner rather than later and cannot wait for the holiday to get here.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,203 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dependable vs big car rentals

The only agency which specifically prohibits their vehicles going to St John is Hertz and their agreement stipulates a $1K penalty for doing so. If your destination vacation is St John, the rental agencies will insist you rent a 4WD vehicle (St John rental agencies only carry 4WD vehicles). If you're staying on STT you don't need a 4WD vehicle and will also get around St John just fine on a day trip with a 2WD vehicle. Thousands of visitors take STT rental cars over to STJ for day trips every year with no problem at all. All the STT rental agencies stipulate in their contracts that if your car breaks down on St John you're responsible for getting it back to St Thomas. I've never heard of this happening but will err on the side of caution and admit that it may happen once in a blue moon.

Enjoy your visit!

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,245 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dependable vs big car rentals

All of STTR's advice is spot on. I will add that as a re-seller Expedia's no St John policy is likely a lowest common denominator one size fits all solution for the various policies of all agencies they represent.

With any car you take to St John you are assuming risk. The cost of towing and barge transport back to St T will not be cheap and will increase dramatically the further you are from Cruz Bay.

I've never seen the Hertz contract and I am basing my assumption on my local towing charges which are expensive enough. But if $1000 releases me of paying tow charges let's say from Salt Pond back to the St T airport terminal on a holiday it's not as scary as it sounds.

You don't indicate if you will be staying in St T or St J and it makes a difference. If staying in St J I'd suggest you avoid Expedia. If staying in St T take the Expedia deal and consider renting another car in St J for your day visits. You may loose half your "savings" but you will be free to explore St J during the day and hang out in Cruz Bay for dinner. I don't like taking the car barge to St J if it means I have to be heading back to St T at 6 o'clock.

nyc
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: dependable vs big car rentals

Thank you for your input here, we're staying on St Thomas for our trip. We were thinking of taking 1-2 day trips to St. John and figured bringing a car would allow us the freedom to explore more. I just didn't know if the bigger rental company (chains) were better vs the local. I know any thing on expedia states the rental cannot go to St. John which hopefully is a blanket agreement?!?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,203 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dependable vs big car rentals

Other than the names there is nothing to differentiate the "chain"/franchised rental car companies from the "local" other than the typical comparisons of service and reliability. Amalie, Dependable and Discount usually rank tops with visitors while Budget ranks low because they sometimes just don't have reserved cars available as promised on busy days. Enjoy your visit!

5. Re: dependable vs big car rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, April 26, 2014