We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfare - when is the best time to buy

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Topic
Airfare - when is the best time to buy

Hi there,

I'm flying down this upcoming December. When is the best time to buy my tickets? Is 9 months too far out? What would a fair price be, for coach and first class?

Thanks

mccrmckt@comcast.net

Syosset, New York
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfare - when is the best time to buy

Prices have been on the higher side lately. Usually for my family's annual summer trip to STT from NY, we normally buy in February for a June/July/Aug trip (4-6 months out). However, I was watching the prices in December and they were consistent in price for about 2 weeks at $350 pp/rt so we booked it. Less than a week later, they went up to $425 and now they are almost at $700 for the same dates (and that is for economy!).

I do not know the "norm" for the prices from Seattle, but the direct flight from NY-JFK average between $300-400 pp/rt. I did get about 4 years ago, $250 pp/rt which was a steal. In my opinion, I do not think the prices are going to go down...they are just going to go up. Also, remember that it is cheaper to fly in/out during the week rather than a fri/sat/sun. Usually we leave on a Monday and come home on a Weds/Thurs.

We have miles on AA so we always buy coach/economy and upgrade to first class. Currently I looked on AA and picked dates in December (December 9-Dec 18th) and the Economy price for the recommended flights (1 stop) is $671 pp/rt (i would book that price) and just buying business class would be $1330 pp/rt. There are plenty of seats in both classes.

Whatever you choose, you will be happy...seeing those prices on AA (especially for economy), I would book now. Its always a gamble.

I hope this helps!!

Helen

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfare - when is the best time to buy

FWIW, I recently read someplace that some air-travel guru said that the optimum time to buy tickets is forty-nine days in advance of travel. I believe that he also suggested that the best time of the week was Tuesday afternoon.

Steve

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfare - when is the best time to buy

Thanks for your comments. Airfare seems to have jumped within the last 10 days, almost doubling.

Syosset, New York
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfare - when is the best time to buy

Aww I am sorry :( What airline are you looking to travel on and what dates are you looking to travel?

Helen

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfare - when is the best time to buy

I prefer delta so I can earn or use miles.

Syosset, New York
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airfare - when is the best time to buy

Any particular dates in mind? I will try and look later on when I get home from work to see if I can find anything.

Helen

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Airfare - when is the best time to buy

Looking at flying out of Seattle on the Dec 20th or 21st and back the 31st or Jan 1st.

There will be two of us going.

Can't leave until early evening on the 20th at the earliest, and have to be back in Seattle Jan 4th at the latest, so there's some flexibility.

We're staying at a WorldMark property for most of the trip, but will probably have a few days to either go to another island or move around St Thomas.

We're looking at coach and first class, depends on the price differential, as we've seen some Delta coach flights more expensive than first class.

Ideally, we'd buy an upgradeable ticket then I'd cash in miles for first class.

At 9 months out, am hoping there will be a price drop by Memorial Day.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,385 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airfare - when is the best time to buy

The best time to buy is when prices are lowest

{;>}

Seriously, you need to check prices regularly for the week you have in mind because they can flucuate quite drastically from week to week. I've been monitoring prices to other destinations and it's surprising how much they can drop one week and rise back up the next.

Are you using one specific carrier? If not use Kayak to compare prices between multiple carriers easily.

9. Re: Airfare - when is the best time to buy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 07, 2014