We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any tips on getting reasonable flights to STT over holidays

Haddonfield, New...
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Any tips on getting reasonable flights to STT over holidays

Just looked into flights to St Thomas Dec 28th to Jan 4th. WOW. averaging $1400 round trip from Newark/Philly.

Any suggestions? Will they go down or is the best I am going to do?

I found one flight close to my choice at $1171 round trip.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
601 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any tips on getting reasonable flights to STT over holidays

I would expect the prices to go down, you still have plenty of time. I'd set an alert through Kayak to have it email you the price. You can set it up to email you on a daily or weekly basis for prices changes.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,297 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any tips on getting reasonable flights to STT over holidays

Wait.

You have everything to gain and I can't imagine you have anything to loose.

Set some alerts on Fare Watchdog, Kayak etc and sit on your hands till September-October.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
281 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any tips on getting reasonable flights to STT over holidays

Thats way too early in my opinion. I bought tickets from Minneapolis at $343 4 months out. They run sales closer to your travel dates just check often. Especially early morning and stuff like that. Travel tuesday to tuesday or later. Early week travel is the cheapest if you dont travel on a weekend.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,058 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any tips on getting reasonable flights to STT over holidays

Unfortunately, you are probably traveling on two of the most expensive travel dates of the year. Not only are you traveling during the X-mas/New Years time, but on a Saturday to boot. There are flights for those dates from Philadelphia to STT on American for about $750 which is a pretty good fare for that time of the year. I would also pay close attention to the # of seats left because when the cheap seats are gone, they are gone. With the airlines merging, there are less flights and they are more expensive.

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any tips on getting reasonable flights to STT over holidays

My best tip- fly on the holiday. We often go to STT or STJ on Thanksgiving, and we get great fares by flying on Thanksgiving morning.

The same works for the Christmas holiday for many destinations.

6. Re: Any tips on getting reasonable flights to STT over holidays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 25, 2014