We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety at Sapphire Beach Resort

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Safety at Sapphire Beach Resort

Does anyone have any experience with safety at the Sapphire

Beach Resort and surrounding area? I'm especially

concerned for a group of under 21 girls who will be renting a villa there.

Please advise.

columbus ohio
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety at Sapphire Beach Resort

Stayed there 2 years ago. St thomas is a great place--my college roomate lives there and we try to visit each year. Actually heading down March 23rd. I wouldn't worry much about the resort--it is clean and safe and the girls can't walk anywhere so they might end up taying there most of the time. It is expensive to take cabs often so they might plan a few "day" trips to shop etc....but as for bars and such--wouldn't worry much

ps...not a popular place for typical spring breakers---it's kinda quiet.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,699 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety at Sapphire Beach Resort

I frequently stay at Sapphire. It is a fairly contained resort and there is 24 hour security and guards that patrol. It is also primarily a family resort so there aren't normally wild parties going on. It is however close to Red Hook (a short cab ride) and there is a more active social scene there. I would say that it depends on the girls, Sapphire is safe, but if they want to go out exploring I'm sure they can find trouble.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
93 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety at Sapphire Beach Resort

We just returned from St Thomas after spending 10 days with a 28-year old son who moved there (as a chef) this year. Got many good safety tips.

Sapphire Beach is a great resort - not too wild and safe within the resort area. They may not WANT to leave the place too often! The SMITH BAY area (up the beach), however, is not a place to explore without a crowd around - & certainly not after dark. Drugs are prevalent and crime is abundant. The Red Hook area is loads of fun and at night, there are always crowds of young people. Just NO taking off anywhere alone for any reason. These girls will know to exercise caution, I'm sure.

mooresville, nc
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety at Sapphire Beach Resort

We just returned from Sapphire last week. It was wonderful! The resort grounds and the rooms are clean and the staff is very friendly. My husband and I would come in late at night and never felt the least bit uncomfortable. There is a security guard that manually lifts the gate to all arriving cars, there is a night manager on duty and it is very well lit.