We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Thomas Carnival 2013

Long Island City...
Level Contributor
484 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
St Thomas Carnival 2013

I didn't realize this when we booked our trip, but we will be in STT during carnival week. Will the duty free shops be open on Sunday? What can we expect during this week? Is there a site which lists the schedule of events? Super crazy crowds? This is our first time attending carnival, but our third time in STT.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,975 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: St Thomas Carnival 2013

For a 10:30 flight you should be at the airport at 8:30 and the drive will be fast and easy from Sapphire through to the airport at that time on that day.

Charlotte Amalie...
Level Contributor
676 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: St Thomas Carnival 2013

Try to figure your drive over Skyline Drive and continue up to Crown Mountain Road if you can. I believe the archeological dig on main street may cause the closed to be closed for the parade. We may have to experience the parade on the waterfront, at least for a part of the parade. When you arrive you should find that info out. They start the dig towards the middle of March. There are archeologists coming from all over the world to help at this Pre-Colombian find. Over 2000 years old!

RL

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: St Thomas Carnival 2013

I will be travelling to STT for my honeymoon during the wk of Apr 20-27. As many days that I've been searching the internet for things to see and do, I just found out about Carnival. I'm actually looking fwd to it since I am from NYC and we all know all day everyday is a hustle and bustle. Is the Carnival everyday or just certain days? Now my question is I have a 430pm flight what time do I need to be at the airport?

Long Island City...
Level Contributor
484 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: St Thomas Carnival 2013

Trying to plan our itinerary and was wondering if any of the locals knew what the Roas-A-Time e (J'ouvert) warm-up is? It was listed under the April events calendar for 4/25 at 12:30am and 4pm on www.visitusvi.com/stthomas/events_calendar. Also what is the Cultural Fair Honoring Ann Murrine Henry "Ann's Savory Delights" held at 8am in Emancipation Gardens? How long do these events usually go on for?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,975 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: St Thomas Carnival 2013

J'Ouvert is always listed to start very early in the morning and is usually in high gear by 6AM. The "Cultural Fair" is what we call the "Food Fair". Local vendors set up their food stalls and sell a huge assortment of local food and drinks all day long or until they run out while local arts and crafts are also on sale. It's a colorful hubbub of food and sheer enjoyment!

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: St Thomas Carnival 2013

I will be in St. Croix and wanted to seaplane over to St. Thomas. The last time we did that it was carnival in St. Thomas. We were very disappointed due to most of the stores were closed, we wanted to do some major shopping. When would it be good to go over and have all the stores open? Thanks so much for the info. We also want to Ferry over to St. John, any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Charlotte Amalie...
1 post
Save Reply
27. Re: St Thomas Carnival 2013

Come and have the time of your life. Great Music, dancing in the streets to Calypso, steel pans and the greatest bands on earth.

opopbra@hotmail.com

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,975 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: St Thomas Carnival 2013

MarshaP: You should be at the airport by at least 11AM for your flight so if you're driving yourself allow 90 minutes for the drive and dropping off your rental. You should have very little problem at that time of the day and the waterfront road will be clear sailing as the parade doesn't go across there and Carnival Village will be quiet until later on. If you're taking a taxi just leave it all up to the driver. Should there be any unprecedented holdups, he or she will take you "over the mountain" and get you there in plenty of time.

Edited: 10:47 pm, April 01, 2013
Charlotte Amalie...
Level Contributor
676 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: St Thomas Carnival 2013

Gail, the stores will be closed for sure on Saturday when the adult parade passes. Friday after the children's parade, the stores open.

The parade will be completely on main street do the waterfront will be passable, not to worry.

Ronnie

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
99 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: St Thomas Carnival 2013

We arrive approx 3:30 on Saturday 4/27 and wanted to hire a private taxi to stop off at the grocery store briefly on our way to Sapphire. Will the grocery stores close early that day? Will we have a hard time getting a private taxi at the airport?

Get answers to your questions about St. Thomas