We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car from airport?

Ashland, Ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Car from airport?

My husband and I are going to Sapphire Beach in Feb. We have a car available to us from Budget, it was included in our rental. ( I have not reserved yet) My question is, should we pick it up at the airport or at the Sapphire Beach area? What would be the easiest when just arriving around 3pm? First time to the islands and driving on the left. Thanks.

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car from airport?

Definitely pick it up and drop it off at the airport. Save yourselves about fifty bucks and get to see some of the island more intimately than from a safari. There are basically two routes from the airport to Sapphire. You will find one in "Bill's List" . PM me with a real EMail address for the other. IMHO, they are just about equally good.

Driving on the left is no big deal--about a third of the planet's population does it all the time The only thing is that because the cars drive from the left (just as in Ohio) if you actually pull out to pass someone (which is pretty unlikely) your visibility will not be very good. When you get back to Ohio, it will take a few minutes before you have adapted to driving on the right.

Steve

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,573 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car from airport?

The rental agency will provide you with an island map and getting to Sapphire is quite simple. Once you get through town on the waterfront and reach the Havensight area, you have a choice of going left and going on Rte 38 which takes you all the way to Sapphire; or going right onto Rte 30 which will take you to Rte 32 and then to 38 which will also take you directly to Sapphire from the opposite direction. The taxi fare from the airport to Sapphire is around $15 per person! Max speed limit is 35 MPH and most of your driving will be in the 20-30 MPH range so that also makes things much easier. Enjoy a wonderful vacation!

Edited: 7:38 am, October 19, 2012
Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car from airport?

Bear in mind that most people will drive at a speed at which they feel comfortable and safe. A low speed limit usually means that there are problems driving at higher speeds, and low actual speeds usually are low for a good reason. Do not imagine that it would be anything like driving at thirty mph on an otherwise empty interstate.

Driving through Charlotte Amalie is much like driving through any town/city that was designed long before he automobile. When you enter "the country" you will encounter all the driving challenges that you will find in most any hilly/mountainous environment such as steep hills, and sharp curves--often with limited visibility. Do not be surprised to crest a hill and find yourself unexpectedly entering a sharp curve. In addition, expect the road surface often to be poor and some "speed bumps that are "world-class". You also may find that traffic has stopped because a local driver has stopped to chat with a friend, or a couple of goats are crossing the road.

Although the situation is enormously improved since long ago, there still are some local drivers who drive bravely.

Now after this "dour report" the bottom line is that because of these challenges, you and almost all the other drivers will be adapting to the conditions, driving at a sensibly low speed and not having any real problems.

Steve

Ashland, Ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car from airport?

Thank you for the information. We will pick the car up at the airport and let the adventure begin! Not that I want to rush the upcoming holiday season, but I can't wait for Feb. ! Thanks again!

Cyndy

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
310 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car from airport?

I don't want to make it any harder for you to wait until February, but you made a great choice on hotel location. I have never stepped foot in any of the Sapphire Condo's, however the beach, water and snorkeling there are amazing. I was able to see things I haven't seen in the previous 5 years of snorkeling. This was everyone who I was traveling with favorite spot.

Sorry to get off topic, but I just left St Thomas and can't speak enough about this fantastic place, and Sapphire in particular.

Just an addition to everyone else's post, driving on the other side is not a big deal at all. I've only done it 3 times, all in the past year, and have not really had much problem. The only time for me its a problem is when no other cars are around, then sometimes I forget, but again there's nobody else around.

The other thing for a first timer, stop and think about which direction the cars are going to be coming from. This for me was the worst part about driving there, you're always expecting traffic from a different direction.

Definitely not hard to get used to... Have a great trip!!

Great Meadows, New...
Level Contributor
97 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car from airport?

Pick it up at the airport. Save yourself some money-

7. Re: Car from airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 25, 2013