We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for advice...

Warren, Michigan...
Level Contributor
399 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for advice...

My wife and I are considering a trip to St Thomas. We're huge fans of Key West, and we've been told any fans of Key West will be a fans of St. Thomas. When we travel we eat out every meal: breakfast, lunch, dinner, cocktails. We don't go on vacation to cook for ourselves, or make our own drinks. Did I mention we love food and cocktails?!? I have enough SPG points to stay free in the St. John Westin for a week. Is there enough variety in St. John to keep us occupied for 7 days? Would we be better off saving the points for anohter trip and paying for a hotel on St Thomas? Where is the best place on St Thomas where there are lots of restaurants and bars to choose from? We would love to be close to a beach. We prefer to stay far from cruise ship docks and a good distance from heavy shopping areas. What would you do? THANKS!!!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
605 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for advice...

About the only thing I can answer for you is whether or not there is enough on St. John to keep you occupied for 7 days - YES! Whether you decide to stay on STT or STJ - you will find plenty of things between the two islands to keep you occupied - and make you wanting to go back for more. The beauty of the VI's, IMO - is that ease of travel between the USVI and the BVI makes island hopping very easy, so on the off chance you would get bored on one island - you can easily get to another.

Now, that being said (again, IMO) - the VI's are a "do it yourself" kind of vacation - meant to be explored and enjoyed. So, as long as you are interested in leaving the resort, you'll find plenty of things to keep you busy for a week. In fact, you could easily visit 3-4 beaches a day on St. John and still not have seen them all. If you're looking for a "chill at the resort" type of vacation - with no real intent to leave - you may find yourself bored after a few days.

We typically hit up the grocery when we arrive - do fruit, pastries and yogurt for breakfast, pack some lunches but always eat dinner (and a few lunches) out. You aren't really going to find beach service - so, if you want to drink at the beach - you'll need to make your own drinks. We fill a bottle with the days rum of choice, fill another bottle with the mixer - fill the cooler with ice and we're off.

STJ is my preferred island - but we always stay on STT (travel on our time share, so we have limited choices for lodging). I prefer Red Hook on STT, very small town feel to it. CA is busy, busy with lots of cruisers and shoppers. While I haven't stayed at the Westin, if you can stay on STJ - I would recommend it.

Level Contributor
1,030 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for advice...

I think you might look into the Elysian or Secret Harbor on STT , both east end not too far from Redhook. They both have beach bars and dining options.

3. Re: Looking for advice...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, December 15, 2013
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now