We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry Boats - is it a rough ride if you get seasick?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
238 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry Boats - is it a rough ride if you get seasick?

Thinking about staying at Marriott's Frenchman's Reef - how is the ferry ride to CA and to St. John? Have teenagers that get seasick, just wondering how rough it is.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry Boats - is it a rough ride if you get seasick?

The boat trip to CA is pretty smooth and it is a short trip.

Normally the ferry to St. John is also pretty smooth, but on occasion it can be rough. While the ferry can bounce around if you hit a rare rough day, the boat doesn't roll like a smaller boat would.

I think your pretty safe on both trips.

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
7,977 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry Boats - is it a rough ride if you get seasick?

They advise if you're prone to seasickness to sit in the open air instead of inside (where it's air conditioned!). I've never seen anybody get seasick on the ferry, and I was on one day when the waves were splashing us on the top deck. Nobody up there, though, got seasick.

They should be fine.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,279 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry Boats - is it a rough ride if you get seasick?

You may consider taking the ferry from Red Hook to STJ -it is a much shorter boat ride for seasick prone passengers.

The Frenchmans Reef ferry to town is very short and in flat water in the Harbour.

Edited: 11:06 am, September 13, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
238 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry Boats - is it a rough ride if you get seasick?

I was thinking it would probably be better to take the ferry from Red Hook, however, how much $$$ for a family of 5 to take a taxi to Red Hook, ferry to St. John, then taxi to Trunk Bay? And that's only getting there!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
105 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry Boats - is it a rough ride if you get seasick?

How often does the Marriott ferry run each day and how early and late does it go?

Thanks

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
591 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry Boats - is it a rough ride if you get seasick?

Marriott only goes into Charlotte Amalie, not to STJ.

I think it usually runs from about 9 am to 5 pm! You can take the boat into town and than cab back if you go in for dinner!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
105 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry Boats - is it a rough ride if you get seasick?

Thanks byado18....I knew it only goes to Charlotte Amalie and I guess I should have been more specific in my post....thanks for the help it is much appreciated.

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
7,977 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry Boats - is it a rough ride if you get seasick?

The Marriott Ferry into Charlotte Amalie runs every hour. I think it leaves the Marriott on the hour, and returns on the half hour.

You can contact the Adventure Center for exact details. They run the ferry.

SunnySoCAL
Level Contributor
126 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry Boats - is it a rough ride if you get seasick?

I get horrible motion sickness; and in the several times we went over to STJ on the ferry, I never got sick (despite some rough trips). Like others mentioned, it's a very quick jaunt from STT to STJ; and you'll be there before you know it.

United States
Level Contributor
227 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry Boats - is it a rough ride if you get seasick?

Rent a car, take car barge over to stj. $50 for barge, about $70 for rental car for the day. You'll have more fun, it's easier to schlep your stuff and you'll see more.